Does X-Fi Elite Pro sound much better than X-Fi XtremeMusic?
Dec 29, 2006 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gatticus

Banned
I have the X-Fi ExtremeMusic version but have been thinking of upgrading to the
Elite pro for the better DAC's and the breakout box. The breakout box would really help with my connectivity options. Does it sound much better than the X-Fi I already have though? I will be using it with Sennheiser HD595 headphones and Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and Monsoon Planar 2.1 speakers setup in a 4.2 config.

Dec 29, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 5
My gut feeling is no but I haven't heard them side by side. I own the X-Fi ExtremeMusic version and find it to be a very fine sounding card.

That said, I feel that before spending any money on internal sound card based computer audio I'd look long and hard at what's available for a similar price in the area of external DAC. The X-Fi ExtremeMusic provides a very nice digital output which can then be fed to any number of different DAC units currently available. The main advantage of an external DAC is that you're not tied down to a given hardware/software platform and can move the DAC to a new computer when you upgrade.

Just some food for thought.

Dec 29, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, I have considered getting something like a Corda Aria amp as it has a USB DAC but I don't realy want to have to be switching components all the time. Also, I can't use the digital output on my X-Fi as a digital line out to a DAC as I am already using the flexijack as a line in for my TV Tuner card. That's one of the reasons that breakout box on the Elite Pro would come in handy. I know I can buy the box seperately to hook up to my X-fi but figured I may as well get the Elite Pro.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 5
gatticus: I wouldn't recommend the upgrade for sound quality reasons alone (i.e., to my ears, the small difference in output sq isn't worth the rather big difference in price), but if the extra ports on the external module are useful to you, then it might indeed make sense to go all the way and get the Elite Pro.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I have considered getting something like a Corda Aria amp as it has a USB DAC but I don't realy want to have to be switching components all the time. Also, I can't use the digital output on my X-Fi as a digital line out to a DAC as I am already using the flexijack as a line in for my TV Tuner card. That's one of the reasons that breakout box on the Elite Pro would come in handy. I know I can buy the box seperately to hook up to my X-fi but figured I may as well get the Elite Pro.

It would appear that you are pretty up to speed on the various options available to you. Since it's your money that's going to be spent and you who must live with and be happy with the results I can only offer you some friendly advice and a few ideas, which I believe I already did. The final decision will be up to you.

As always, just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back