Does Weight Loss affect Custom IEM fit?
Nov 1, 2009 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

f00fighters

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently 29 years old, and 175lbs. My goal is to get to 145 - 150lbs. If I get custom IEMs now, is it possible that they won't fit properly after I lose about 30 lbs. ?

I'm going to be turning my Triple.Fi Pro's to customs IEM molds. I don't want to make the investment at this point if my ears are going to somewhat shrink. I apologize if I sound like an idiot, but I really have no clue.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 14
From what I've read, 30 lbs is about the mark where it starts to make a difference. I don't know if it's different person for each person, but it would make sense if it were, with changes showing up sooner for some, and later or not at all for others. I've lost 10 lbs since getting my JH13s and there's no difference so far in fit. I've exactly 20 lbs more to go, so though I'm taking my time getting to my goal, I'll let folks know if there's enough of a change to require a refit when I get there.

Nov 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 14
My roommate who's a fitness buff says that generally significant weight loss (i.e. more than 20 lbs) usually goes like this: you start to lose mass from legs then face (particularly neck and chin area) then your belly. Chances are though it shouldn't effect the ear because it's mostly cartilage. And IMO, unless you're extremely devoted, it's going to take a while until you do reach your weight goals, so I'd totally get the molds done so you can listen to music while you work out
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for all your responses. The IEMs are mainly for working out, but they may end up being my only pair for everything. I'm thinking of getting rid of my grado's. Hopefully I will reach my goal in a few months
smily_headphones1.gif
The triplefi's keep me on the treadmill even longer, just because the music sounds so good in them!

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 14
no it won't. I lost 50 lbs--my son lost over 100 from running then progressing to marathon running--and neither one of us noticed any change in IEM insertion. As someone else said, ears are cartiledge and not muscle/fat masses.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 14
I just wanted to say good luck on the weight loss. A few years ago I finally kicked myself in the butt and stopped shoving crap down my gullet and started doing moderate exercise, and I dropped from 190 down to 150 in less than half a year (my weight stabilized at about 140 another half year after that).

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no it won't. I lost 50 lbs--my son lost over 100 from running then progressing to marathon running--and neither one of us noticed any change in IEM insertion.

Customs?

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to say good luck on the weight loss. A few years ago I finally kicked myself in the butt and stopped shoving crap down my gullet and started doing moderate exercise, and I dropped from 190 down to 150 in less than half a year (my weight stabilized at about 140 another half year after that).

I appreciate that, Armaegis. You're truly an inspiration. I was about 150lbs until I got married. Then I got as far as 197. Now I'm at 175lb. Yea, it took some serious discipline. I don't follow a diet, I just eat sensibly, and moderately, and often. I also cut out red meat for the time being. I speed walk for 45 minutes a day, then I do weights and machines. That's pretty much my routine, and so far so good.

Apr 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 14
I dug up this old thread because, essentially, it's the exact question that I have. I'm planning on dropping 20-30 lbs within the next year (I know, it might be a pipe dream...but we all need a dream).

So...

Custom IEMs and weight loss/gain of around 30 pounds...does it make any difference in the fit?

Booomana, how are things going for you so far? Any issue with fit?

tnmike1, x2 on boomana's question.

I'm really curious about others' experience in this regard (dealing solely with customs) because I am so tempted to sell off some gear to fund the JH13's, as most of my listening time is while I'm away from my really nice home rigs. I'm guessin' for each 6 hours I listen at the office, I'm using my home rig for about 30 minutes. And yet I've got a ton more money invested in my home rig(s).

An audiologist I spoke with said that 20 lbs might enough to notice a differrence in fit. I've spoken with Jaime at JHA, who said that she didn't think that 20 lbs would create a fit issue, but if I go the custom route, I really don't want the hassle of refit issues a year or more down the line.

So if anyone's got some experience with either gaining or losing about 20-30 lbs and have had custom IEMs during that time, please chime in and let others know what your experience has been in this regard.

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Same question here. Since the start of the year I've been on a serious lifestyle alteration phase (with minor falls by the wayside of course haha). I've lost about 30lbs of body fat since Jan 1st and I've got another 25 to 30lbs of fat to burn before I hit a nice single digit body fat %. Granted the last few lbs are gonna take alot longer but I'm planning on some JH13s pretty soon so I'd like to know if fit gets affected.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same question here. Since the start of the year I've been on a serious lifestyle alteration phase (with minor falls by the wayside of course haha). I've lost about 30lbs of body fat since Jan 1st and I've got another 25 to 30lbs of fat to burn before I hit a nice single digit body fat %. Granted the last few lbs are gonna take alot longer but I'm planning on some JH13s pretty soon so I'd like to know if fit gets affected.

Wow, great job on your progress! Keep it up.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 14
I've lost and maintained a 100 pound loss over the past 5 years. Cable length MAY be affected depending on how you wrap the IEM cable but I don't believe the actual fit of the IEM itself has changed for me.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back