Does WASAPI support 24/192?
Jun 23, 2015 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jigglybootch

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently downloaded a 24/192 version of "Purple Rain." But much to my dismay, I can't get these files to play the way I want them to.

Right now, I'm running the optical output of my motherboard to a Schiit Bifrost. Windows 8, foobar2000, WASAPI output. I'm almost positive the DAC supports 24/192, but no matter what I do, when I try to play the files under the previously listed conditions, I get no sound from the speakers. Foobar is "playing" the songs, but outputting no sound. I tried setting the output of foobar to DirectSound, and everything seems to work there, but for whatever reason I can't get it to work with WASAPI.

Am I missing something? Does WASAPI not support 24/192 or am I doing something wrong?

Jun 23, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 14
It's not a WASAPI problem: Toslink standard is limited to 24/96. Some devices do support 24/192, but it is enough that one of them takes the standard literally and you get no joy.
The reason DirectSound works is it downsamples your stream to whatever it is set to in Windows.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 14
But here's the thing. I went in and checked the Windows sound settings and found the sample rate was set at 48 kHz. That was the only box that was checked. I unchecked that and instead checked the 192 kHz box. In theory, with only that box checked then Windows should upsample everything to 192 unless the content is natively 192. With the sample rate set to 192, the songs played flawlessly using DirectSound. So if it works without downsampling using DS, why wouldn't WASAPI work if it supports 24/192?

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 14
  Is exclusive mode enabled in the Win sound panel?
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Pictures/Software/Tweak/USBAdvanced.jpg

It most certainly is. Well, now anyway. Lol

It seems that setting the output to 24/192 causes the same issue, even on DS. Setting it to 24/96 works like a charm. WASAPI doesn't seem to want to work regardless of the settings.

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 14
From what I can gather, 24/192 is possible over S/PDIF. Based on what I've read, my DAC should support it. When using DirectSound, it seems that 24/96 works, but not 24/192. This would seem to indicate, at least to me, that the optical S/PDIF output on my motherboard doesn't support 24/192. But when I use the WASAPI input, neither setting works. So I really don't understand what's going on. I don't know if I should be blaming WASAPI or the motherboard.

I'm going to use the S/PDIF output from my sound card and see what happens. I'm just thoroughly confused at this point.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 14
i experience the same thing. s/pdif is limited to 24/96. it just cant put out 24/192, i wish it could. i have never searched for pc soundcards that could do that over spdif, but i know my sound blaster z doesn't. i also have a bifrost uber, as you.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 14
From what I can gather, 24/192 is possible over S/PDIF. Based on what I've read, my DAC should support it. When using DirectSound, it seems that 24/96 works, but not 24/192. This would seem to indicate, at least to me, that the optical S/PDIF output on my motherboard doesn't support 24/192. But when I use the WASAPI input, neither setting works. So I really don't understand what's going on. I don't know if I should be blaming WASAPI or the motherboard.

I'm going to use the S/PDIF output from my sound card and see what happens. I'm just thoroughly confused at this point.

I believe you need to use an ASIO driver for anything above 24/96. And you may need to fiddle with Channel Offset. That said if you have 24/192 source content and are trying to avoid down sampling fine but otherwise wouldn't lose sleep over it. Topic for Sound Science forum but 24 bit allows for software volume control and DSP headroom but you can find raging debates about 24 vs. 16 and high sample rates :wink:

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #10 of 14
The only soundcard I know to support  192Khz over coaxial spidf is the Esi Juli, or the Audiotrak prodigy over the native asio driver, (honestly I'm not so sure for the Audiotrak)
most of the other cards and motherboards,  just downsample even on wasapi out, if your Dac has sample rate monitor, it can clearly show that..

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #11 of 14
There's some reason to play music at 24-bit, but none to use 192khz. 48khz is about as high a sampling rate as could theoretically be useful.

What's the point? There are a lot high resolution downloads in 192Khz, I don't care if they are better or not  than 96Khz, I can only buy them in 192khz so why should I downsample?

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #12 of 14
What's the point? There are a lot high resolution downloads in 192Khz, I don't care if they are better or not  than 96Khz, I can only buy them in 192khz so why should I downsample?
What's the problem with down sampling to 48khz? Why pay extra for the ability to playback at 192khz?

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #13 of 14

You sure find specs for that onboard audio system (which I believe tell you that 24/96 for S/PDIF output is the limit). If you would have installed the control software for onboard audio you'd know this already. It's all the same what driver API you use if the limit is there. Why WASAPI plug-in for Fobar2000 does not work better/at all ... just remember it is 3rd party software with zero quarantee for if it works.

WASAPI API itself supports 24/192 and also WASAPI Shared Mode is the default mode on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10. On XP the default mode is WDM. More info regarding Windows Audio can be found through Microsoft KB.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #14 of 14
Hello,
I'm in the Audio team at Microsoft and can confirm what PleasantSounds said. The Toslink port is likely limited to 24/96 and that is the reason for no sound (depending on implementation, Toslink can carry 24/192 or higher bandwidth signals) - especially if you are unable to hear audio when setting the device format directly to 24/192 via control panel.
WASAPI certainly does not have a limitation of 24/192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back