Does volume affect amplification?
Jul 19, 2005 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
I have had a question in my mind today that only head-fiers could answer. In the future I may well get an amp, but since I don't listen to high volumes at all will the affects that people talk about that amplification gives affect me?

This mainly concerns high impedence cans that I am thinking of purchasing in the future as well. Since high impedence cans require more juice (I assume current here) will the affects be more pronounced in cases of high volumes, or the increase in 'fullness' of sound be evident at all volumes, compared to say driven straight out of a soundcard. This is my naive understanding since the main reason why people argue for using an amp is getting higher volumes on soundcards that don't have enough 'juice' to drive high imp cans.

If anything I've said is wrong please correct me, still learning here. Thanks

Jul 19, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 5
Simply, a good amp will give you a lot more headroom ie power reserve for the loud peaks compared to a cheap soundcard.
So, dynamics, slam and sound/headstage will be better - and you won't need to listen loud to appreciate this.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #3 of 5
I believe, as in a regualar stereo amplifier, that it is not so much about playing loud. It is about being able to produce all the frequency spectrum. This is what is most imporatant. We want to listen, not break our ear bones. The higher power of an amp will also be able to play louder across the frequency spectrum.
I don't know much about how they measure and regulate headphone amplification. If it is anything like stereo amps, it means little if nothing. I will take a 80 watt (company honest) over a 200 watt (company cheaters) anyday. I better stop,,,I don't wanna confuse... How a company rates there product spec's is not standardized is what i should have just said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back