Does vinyl work well on a headphone setup?
Dec 9, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do I still need to get a record cleaner if I plan to buy only new reissue vinyl?

If you can afford it I would. I use a VPI RCM on all the new vinyl I buy. There are chemicals and stuff that sit on the surface of newly pressed records. The cleaner you can keep your records, the longer your cartridge and album will last.

Plus it just sounds better.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can afford it I would. I use a VPI RCM on all the new vinyl I buy. There are chemicals and stuff that sit on the surface of newly pressed records. The cleaner you can keep your records, the longer your cartridge and album will last.

Plus it just sounds better.
normal_smile .gif

I don't have the vinyl record investment just yet to justify a higher priced RCM, so in the mean time I've been using the Spin-Clean which was $59. I was surprised at the amount of dirt that ended up in the fluid after cleanings. My problem was static buildup that made the Rega felt mat stick to albums when removing them from the platter. This solved the problem for now.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #33 of 46
@Horio, how do you like:

VPI Scout Turntable w/Dynavector 20x Cartridge, Dynavector Phono Stage

I am thinking about going in that very direction (maybe the VPI Classic table) - I have heard some great things about that dynavector cart and phono stage.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tke398 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the vinyl record investment just yet to justify a higher priced RCM, so in the mean time I've been using the Spin-Clean which was $59. I was surprised at the amount of dirt that ended up in the fluid after cleanings. My problem was static buildup that made the Rega felt mat stick to albums when removing them from the platter. This solved the problem for now.

You can also get a barebones vacuum based RCM which is manually operated and utilises connection of a standard domestic vacumm cleaner, from KABUSA.com. It's a stripped down Nitty Gritty system costing around 160USD last time I checked.

Vacuuming does make a big difference in my experience as if there is gunk in the grooves wetting it just makes the residue you can't wipe out stick to the stylus, which shortens it's life considerably.

When you clean records you should also be putting them in fresh antistatic padded sleeves as these will help cure the issue and protect them better as well.

Static is really environmental rather than anything to do with how you are looking after the records and it can be a real pain.

You could also try ditching the felt mat on the Rega for something else as these don't help either. I have glass platters like Rega use on a few of my decks but havn't really found anything to improve on the felt though. Acrylic didn't sound so great so you could try a cork mat maybe?

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #35 of 46
Memepool - Thanks for the advice. An RCM is in the near future.

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #37 of 46
how much's a record cleaner? i just use a cloth!

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #38 of 46
Some kind of wet-vacuum record cleaning machine is one of the biggest vinyl upgrades you can get. If you own a lot of vinyl, I would buy a $500 TT/Cartridge combo and a RCM before upgrading to either a better cartridge or TT - the RCM will make a much bigger difference.

Admittedly I own a pretty nice vinyl playback system, but I get very little audible surface noise, because my records are CLEAN, man. And it matters. And if you have a RCM, you can often score huge amounts of music from garage sales for almost no money. Look at the records - if they are scratched, blow them off, but many will obviously just be dirty, not scratched, and these you will be able to get to sound perfect with a good wet-vacuum record cleaner (I use the VPI 16.5, but you can use the cheaper Nitty Gritty with excellent results too, it just takes a little more time/effort).

With clean records, vinyl is the most enjoyable way to listen to music, IMO. And it's great through headphones!

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #39 of 46
i've been looking on audiogon more and more as I close in on the arrival of my tax return. right now I'm definitely thinking a Rega Planar 3 or P2 is what I'll be picking up, however what would the difference be if i got say a technics 1200 and got a better cartridge on it? My overall budget for the table is going to be 400-600. Any suggestions?

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #40 of 46
What about someone looking to keep things as cheap as possible. Would my best option be buying a used old record player?

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #42 of 46
I would certainly concur with Skylab's post about cleanliness, that is essential. What you might not hear about enough is the importance of a quality cartridge to match your music. You did not specify what type of music you prefer, however, if it's Rock, I'd like to offer my recommendation that you look for a quality used vintage TT with a heavy platter. Luxman PD tables can be had for under $200. You team that up with Denon DL-103R and you are smokin'. It might seem odd to spend much more on a cartridge than a table, but within your budget, it is not (5 decades of lovin' vinyl here). Your sound will only be as good as the vibrations you can extract from that LP. The 103 and 103R also track at much heavier forces that most cartridges, a plus when playing used vinyl (particularly those crappy recordings from the early 70's). In any event, plan on spending AT LEAST 40% of the cost of your TT on the cart. Do it right! Enjoy the music, upgrade later.

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #43 of 46
Definitely true that some cartridges seem to reject surface noise better than others. A low-output moving coil with a line-contact stylus seems to be the best at this, IMHO.

Jan 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #44 of 46
Agreed. Speaking of, that's quite a nice one on your TT Skylab. Perhaps I'll put a 2nd mortgage on my house and try one out!

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #45 of 46
Thanks! Not that expensive if you trade up from another Benz model. But not cheap, no. Sure is good, though
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back