Does using Traktor as a sound card make a good set up?
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tuan

New Head-Fier
i bought the Traktor Audio 10 sound card for DJing and i only recently thought of using it in my playback set up. i use an RCA-only 1980s receiver and i am outputting FLAC files from MediaMonkey using the ASIO out plugin and i'm guessing Traktor is able to act as:

- my external sound card
- USB DAC
- headphone amp

is all this true? and would this be a decent set up in your opinion, or at least an improvement over using a Y-adapter stereo mini - RCA cable from computer to receiver? pretty much, i don't want to buy a good sound card, DAC and headphone amp if i already have an all-in-one piece of hardware. especially if i paid over $500 for it...

here is traktor: http://www.amazon.com/Native-Instruments-Traktor-Scratch-A10/dp/B007PLAZ1G/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1349183680&sr=1-1&keywords=traktor+audio+10

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 6
It would work 100%, it might have a slightly colored sound (maybe bass heavy because they are designed as club gear) but it'll work for sure.

Oct 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 6
You'll be supremely happy when you get it running your main soundcard. I was switching between my S4 for DJing and onboad laptop soundcard for normal listening, and with a few clicks my S4 became my main soundcard and I'm now listening to my beatport playlist on my monitors instead of my crappy laptop speakers or headphone jack.

My only problem is I can't use it for my headphones, only in Traktor Pro does the headphone jack on the S4 work. Unless someone can offer some help to change this.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #5 of 6
I was very surprised when switching between my Asus Xonar D1 and Traktor S4 controller. The Traktor S4 DAC just sounded like a muddled mess when I compared it to my Xonar!

Overall I'm very disappointed by the S4 DAC - this is a unit that should be capable of driving some of the biggest sound systems in the world, yet it sounds below par on my ~£100 Aego M's!

I did also notice a bump in bass with the S4. I do like bass but it just feels a little bloated with the S4.

I would imagine the Traktor Audio 10 could be better than the S4 though, as I have seen great reviews of it in the past.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #6 of 6
I'll agree it's not the best DAC, but it's not meant to support itself in clubs on massive sound systems. But for home mixing, I've found few problems with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back