Does using line out and headphone out at same time gimp performance?
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an older combo DAC/headphone amp unit (Benchmark DAC1) that doesn't have a toggle switch between line out (to my active studio monitors) and headphone out. Therefore, rather than unplug the line out each time I want to use the headphone out, I simply turn off my active studio monitors (but leave them connected to the unit), then plug my headphones into the headphone out.

Does doing this gimp the performance of the headphone output - since the unit is trying to send signal to both the active studio monitors (which are switched off) and the headphones at the same time - therefore hindering maximum output to either?

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 5
I have an older combo DAC/headphone amp unit (Benchmark DAC1) that doesn't have a toggle switch between line out (to my active studio monitors) and headphone out. Therefore, rather than unplug the line out each time I want to use the headphone out, I simply turn off my active studio monitors (but leave them connected to the unit), then plug my headphones into the headphone out.

Does doing this gimp the performance of the headphone output - since the unit is trying to send signal to both the active studio monitors (which are switched off) and the headphones at the same time - therefore hindering maximum output to either?
I don’t know the Benchmark unit but USUALLY in a unit like that the line out or speaker out will automatically shut off when headphones are plugged in. Again, I do not know if that is the case with the benchmark, but you could easily check and put your mind at ease.

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 5
No, if I didn't turn the active monitors off you could definitely play from speakers and headphones at the same time...

But they're active monitors so I guess the unit isn't having to amp both speakers and headphones at the same time - only amping headphones but also sending signal to speakers... Not sure how much strain that places on the system. And not sure how turning the speakers off (but still leaving them plugged in to the unit when the headphones are being amped) changes things...

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #4 of 5
No, if I didn't turn the active monitors off you could definitely play from speakers and headphones at the same time...

But they're active monitors so I guess the unit isn't having to amp both speakers and headphones at the same time - only amping headphones but also sending signal to speakers... Not sure how much strain that places on the system. And not sure how turning the speakers off (but still leaving them plugged in to the unit when the headphones are being amped) changes things...
Then I would think that if they are off, then they’re just acting as shorting plugs, not only no harm but maybe better than open jacks - but I’m no electric engineer. In my view, if you don’t hear an obvious problem, don’t go looking for one. I think you’re probably fine, just enjoy!

Sep 16, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 5

Dac1D3S_7734-inside-1600.jpg

Looks like the head amp and line out have separate circuits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back