Does using Foobar make any real difference over Winamp?
Feb 3, 2006 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 12
Depends on your settings.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 3, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
Can you explain more? Thanks.

You can can configure resampling settings in foobar, but you can do that in Winamp, too. It's not necessarily going to be better, just different.

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 12
When used as an audio player whats the difference then?

Feb 3, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 12
I used to be attracted by the kernel streaming output option that the foobar player offers, and switched from winamp to foobar. Nowadays I'm using ASIO.
I also like the way I can manage my audio files through the foo_tunes plugin.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Both foobar and winamp can use asio so the sound should be the same. As can several other players now.

Down to features you prefer.

Feb 3, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 12
I think the biggest difference is in the interface.
some folks seem to assume everyone prefers itunes or winamp look by default, but I cant live without foobar's tabbed playlists, explorer tree. On the other hand, I know people who acknowledge foobar's nifty audio plugins, customizability and efficient layout, yet cant get over the winamp's skins. There are very few of those beautiful winamp skins I am a bit tempted to try out myself but AlbumArt + Toaster is enough visual treat for me when I listen to music. More often than not, I am not even looking at the player anyway, so I find foobar way more functional.

Replaygain and proper support for unicode are also extremely important upsides of fb2k if you heavily benefit from them like I do.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #9 of 12
I use winamp on my worksystem since it can stream to my own shoutcast server, and it does everything I need on a system where the speakers suck and the background noise is higher than anyone should tolerate.

at home on my "high end system" I use Foobar, because a) it can play EAC cue sheets without any messing around. I like listening to CDs from beginning to end, just like the originals, but with the cue sheet support, i can also do separate tracks. Really cool. And I can edit the cue sheets to replace the big WAV files with FLAC and it still works. The other reason I use Foobar for is the ability to do room correction through convolver - but I won't mess with that until I am done with room treatment.

apart from that, I think in the longrun the customizable interface of Foobar will work better for me. I like the control over font size in the display, for example, since I'll be setting up a flat screen pretty far away from my listening postion, but all the customizing capability comes at a price. Not a tool for the computer novice.

Peter

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 12
One advantage of foobar is that it has just about every plugin that you'll need included.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 12
I like Winamp with Dynamic Library. I used to use Winamp back in like 2.7-2.91, then switched to foobar for the nice interface when I didn't like Winamp 3. The interface was cleaner and more accessible, as at the time I had a larger music collection. Now, I am back to Winamp 5.12 with Dynamic Library. Dynamic Library is awesome, it's like Windows Explorer integrated into Winamp. The two pane file tree / contents of folder system, and you just select some music, whether it be a single track or an entire folder full, and it loads it into Winamp playlist. Score!

Milk Drop (A winamp 2 plug in, integrated into winamp 5) is an excellent visualization program. I don't use it much, but when I do, WOW.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I like Winamp with Dynamic Library. I used to use Winamp back in like 2.7-2.91, then switched to foobar for the nice interface when I didn't like Winamp 3. The interface was cleaner and more accessible, as at the time I had a larger music collection. Now, I am back to Winamp 5.12 with Dynamic Library. Dynamic Library is awesome, it's like Windows Explorer integrated into Winamp. The two pane file tree / contents of folder system, and you just select some music, whether it be a single track or an entire folder full, and it loads it into Winamp playlist. Score!

Milk Drop (A winamp 2 plug in, integrated into winamp 5) is an excellent visualization program. I don't use it much, but when I do, WOW.

That is exactly what explorer tree plugin does, unless I am mistaken. so winamip does have something similar, not bad. But that goes both ways, most people have explorer tree somewhere in their colums_UI if they are using a modified version of some sort.

check this thread out as for the VIS plugins : http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t18862.html

personally, I avoid using anything that isnt panel-oriented so probably coudlnt care less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back