does using an adapter lose sound quality?
Oct 20, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 8
i think using any adapter degrades the sound quality. whether it is noticeable or even audible is a different question. that i don't know. i suspect that whatever degradation occurs is very minor. i have a number of Bal to SE adapters and things sound fine with them. whether the headphone would sound better if the cable was strictly SE, i don't know.

either way, sometimes convenience is just too important.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 8
As long as the contacts are clean and solid, you lose nothing in using an adapter. It's just a plug, and you have plugs all through your system.

See ya
Steve

Oct 20, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Worst thing that will happen is, the adapter adds a tiny amount of resistance to your connection.
Same as closing the volumepot on your amp a thousandth of an inch or so.

Edit: Stupid me, false statement. I thought the adapter was placed between source and amp.
But anyway: Use an undefective adapter, and you're fine.

Oct 20, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 8
So when some companies are charging over $80 for a 1/4" to 1/8", that's just BS? Quality of the material of the plugs is negligible?

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Well...kinda depends on your confession, voodoo-wise.
icon10.gif

From a technical viewpoint, there's no reason why someone should pay 80$ for it imho.
I own a few of the crappiest adapters you can buy, which piss me off because they may fall appart when you unplug the connection. This sucks.
Don't go "cheapest", go "reasonable". If you ask me, that is.

Oct 20, 2007 at 11:14 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worst thing that will happen is, the adapter adds a tiny amount of resistance to your connection.
Same as closing the volumepot on your amp a thousandth of an inch or so.

Edit: Stupid me, false statement. I thought the adapter was placed between source and amp.
But anyway: Use an undefective adapter, and you're fine.

For fun I measured a couple 1/8" to 1/4" adapters I had, from approximately where the jack and other plug would contact the sleeve (ground). With a generic nickel plated adapter, I got approximately 0.06 ohms, and with a gold plated screw-on adapter off an AKG, I got 0.00 ohms.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back