does U.S listeners not like Stax 4070???
Jul 6, 2008 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15
Hi
i search around the forum and find out that only a few headfiers owns the stax 4070.
is it because our members don't like the stax 4070?

the reason why i ask is that i have one stax 4070 and srm-717 (unused, in pristine condition) and I am planning to sell it. However, I really don't know the fair price for the stax 4070 and srm-717 in our current market.

thanks

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 15
I think it's just that for a bit more you can get the O2. I tried the 4070, and didn't like it much in comparison to the other Stax I've heard. Still good, but for the money? Not for me.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 15
I really like the 4070!
But then again I am not an US listener.
tongue.gif

I guess there are a couple of reasons why there are no all that many around here. Like:
* Price. For just $2-300 more you can get an SR-007A.
* Availability. They are built to order, and hence may take some weeks before they are read for the customer.
* The fact that few Head-Fi'ers own and have auditioned one. People tend to buy what many others have bough, and written nice reviews about, before them.

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like the 4070!
But then again I am not an US listener.
tongue.gif

I guess there are a couple of reasons why there are no all that many around here. Like:
* Price. For just $2-300 more you can get an SR-007A.
* Availability. They are built to order, and hence may take some weeks before they are read for the customer.
* The fact that few Head-Fi'ers own and have auditioned one. People tend to buy what many others have bough, and written nice reviews about, before them.

I think you are right. As myself, sometimes I also read review before i buy
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 15
I have been interested in the 4070 for the longest time, but for the price I'd prefer to hear them first.
If you're interested in a trade though: I've got a Sony PFR-v1 that is at least as kinky looking as these.
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #7 of 15
I think a lot has to do with the fact that 'stats are considered to have (and I would tend to agree) an inherently airy and open musical presentation. From the few impressions I have read of the 4070, some (if not much) of that is lost with the closed-back headphone.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a lot has to do with the fact that 'stats are considered to have (and I would tend to agree) an inherently airy and open musical presentation. From the few impressions I have read of the 4070, some (if not much) of that is lost with the closed-back headphone.

Yes, that's my opinion. Also, they are just too bulky.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 15
I heard 4070 last year at San Jose Int'l Meet, didn't like then since it is way too bright to my ears. Then I auditioned it this year at another mini meet, still can't overcome that overly brightness. Both occasions the Amps are STAX's own flagships.

Some people may prefer 4070 for its 'liveliness'. Try before buy is certainly recommended for this can.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard 4070 last year at San Jose Int'l Meet, didn't like then since it is way too bright to my ears. Then I auditioned it this year at another mini meet, still can't overcome that overly brightness. Both occasions the Amps are STAX's own flagships.

Some people may prefer 4070 for its 'liveliness'. Try before buy is certainly recommended for this can.

from what i understand about stax's design, the 4070 is designed for monitoring and the OmegaII is designed for listening to music

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphone_speaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i understand about stax's design, the 4070 is designed for monitoring and the OmegaII is designed for listening to music

Very possible. I saw O2's frequency response but not 4070's. If 4070 has flatter FR, which is normal the case with monitor type equipment, then the 'brightness' that I perceive is very understandable. In scientific terms, 4070 may be more accurate and true to the source.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's what I felt after listening to it briefly in the NorCal meet 2 wks ago.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by headphone_speaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think that is correct.
Afaik Stax were contacted by one of the major Japanese TV station, who were on the lookout for new monitor headphones. As a result of this they developed the 4070.
While the SR-007 have been designed for music listening.

Which result in two different sounding headphones.

Jul 7, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very possible. I saw O2's frequency response but not 4070's. If 4070 has flatter FR, which is normal the case with monitor type equipment, then the 'brightness' that I perceive is very understandable. In scientific terms, 4070 may be more accurate and true to the source.

If the 4070 was bright then I would blame the source and amp first as the phones are brutally honest but also a bit dry. They are a bit lean in the bass as well to make monitoring easier so that will increase any underlying brightness. They can't resolve as much detail as the SR-007 but considering how hard it is to make a closed electrostatic its performance is nothing short of astounding.

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #15 of 15
I was/am interested in the 4070, but it is definitely an earspeaker that you have to actually put on and listen to and especailly pay attention to the comfort issue. the norcal canjam had a number of negative remarks based on how heavy they were on the head. And yes for a few hundred more you can get the O2...can't get over the fact that it is just still the 404 drivers in a closed shell.

But the srm 717, well I think there might be a market for that! I just got one out of japan and waiting for it now
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back