Does Tidal desktop auto switch DAC bitrate?
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Twangsta

100+ Head-Fier
On a Mac M1 with an RME Babyface Pro.

Just tried tidal for the first time, it's not switching DAC bitrate by track, I've selected Max, tried exclusive mode on/off, etc. Not switching :frowning2:

Apr 17, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 13
On a Mac M1 with an RME Babyface Pro.

Just tried tidal for the first time, it's not switching DAC bitrate by track, I've selected Max, tried exclusive mode on/off, etc. Not switching :frowning2:
I recently had the same issue with Tidal on a Macbook. Answer for me was to delete and reinstall, then re-enable exclusive mode.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 13
Happy owner of the Monarch MKII since 2022, these days I noticed a really bad crack on the right shell. Anyone else have this problem? I mean, I always stored them in their case and never drop them, these days I just accidentally noticed that.20240414_203321.jpg20240414_203331.jpg

I recently had the same issue with Tidal on a Macbook. Answer for me was to delete and reinstall, then re-enable exclusive mode.
Is there anything special you did to delete Tidal, I just tried it, dragged Tidal from the Applications folder to the bin. And reinstalled. No luck yet.
Works fine switching on my Mojo 2 in exclusive mode.
I'm going to be getting a new DAC, most probably a Mojo 2, I hope it works, the RME Babyface Pro I'm using is more pro audio so maybe it's not considered in their code. Quite a bummer really. To be honest I'm considering a dap even, I get a lot of pops and noise from my M1, it's internal handling of it's data bus is pathetic, if you have a long running USB operation the whole thing stall, even keyboard inputs don't work, what a joke Apple is under the veil of marketing.

Apr 17, 2024 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 13
Is there anything special you did to delete Tidal, I just tried it, dragged Tidal from the Applications folder to the bin. And reinstalled. No luck yet.

I'm going to be getting a new DAC, most probably a Mojo 2, I hope it works, the RME Babyface Pro I'm using is more pro audio so maybe it's not considered in their code. Quite a bummer really. To be honest I'm considering a dap even, I get a lot of pops and noise from my M1, it's internal handling of it's data bus is pathetic, if you have a long running USB operation the whole thing stall, even keyboard inputs don't work, what a joke Apple is under the veil of marketing.
Hmm. I'll double-check my Tidal settings.

And if it matters, I also predominantly use a Mojo 2 for listening with Tidal (as well as Roon and Roon Arc).

Apr 18, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 13
Just double-checked my settings. Mojo 2 definitely changes colors with the changing bitrates played on Tidal through my MacBook. I even checked to make sure my Mac's settings didn't match Tidal's output bitrate (to make sure Exclusive Mode works). Audio Midi on my Mac is set to 44.1kHz, but the Mojo 2 is changing color according to the corresponding changes in Tidal's bitrate. All working as it should.

The only things I can think to suggest are 1) disconnecting/reconnecting the interconnect into the Mojo 2 (optical or USB), and 2) making sure that the settings you applied in Tidal are to the specific output device you are using with tidal (not "System default"). That's what allows you to choose "more settings" next to that device name. Then select exclusive mode. The "Force volume" option should be made unavailable (grayed out) with Exclusive mode on.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 13
I was just reminded in the Mojo 2 thread of one important thing I did to get the output bitrate to work. I updated my DAC’s drivers, then reinstalled and restarted everything.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 13
I just got a Moondrop Dawn Pro, at first I thought it was broken, lots of distortion, hadn't put the headphone plug all the way, it's a very secure click at the end, didn't want to force it.

Tidal if finally switching bit rates, but it goofs up sometimes, two issues, sometimes is switches and the music plays faster or slower, other times I need to stop the playback, change tracks, come back to the track and then it works. I think this is an issue with the moondrop dawn pro, perhaps. I need to check it with audirvana for this behaviour.

Apr 22, 2024 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 13
I just got a Moondrop Dawn Pro, at first I thought it was broken, lots of distortion, hadn't put the headphone plug all the way, it's a very secure click at the end, didn't want to force it.

Tidal if finally switching bit rates, but it goofs up sometimes, two issues, sometimes is switches and the music plays faster or slower, other times I need to stop the playback, change tracks, come back to the track and then it works. I think this is an issue with the moondrop dawn pro, perhaps. I need to check it with audirvana for this behaviour.

Sounds like a DAC issue to me, but it might be something else too.
Each time I had issues with the playback, it was due to either drivers(on windows platform), internet connection quality or the usb cable. From what you're saying, might face some kind of buffering issue.

Since on Mac the driver is a non-issue.. oh well. I don't have any experience with the Moondrop products, but talking about the issues I faced along the way.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:28 AM Post #12 of 13
I just tested it with Audirvana 3.5, works flawless, it's tidal, it didn't play nice with my REM.
Gotta add this little DAC Amp is a real banger for the money, to my inexperienced "audiophile" ears.

They have a support page, you might get some help there or contribute for further improvements by discussing with them about your issue.
That in case you're still thinking to use Tidal in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back