Does this product exist? (similar to TBH but no hiss and better sound)
Apr 15, 2005 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

goatwuss

New Head-Fier
Hi there. Just bought a Headroom Total Bithead for use in between my laptop computer and my Shure E5c headphones. It's going back because there is WAY too much hiss with these headphones. I also wasn't exactly impressed with the sound, but I would have kept it if it didn't have the hiss. The crossfeed is an interesting idea, but really introduces more problems than it solves in my opinion. (ie. much less transparency)

So - what I'm looking for is a product (or combination of products) that includes:

* USB interface to computer
* DAC
* Headphone out with volume control
* Good sound with Shure E5c headphones
* Portability not a concern
* Max Budget - $300-$400

I also have an M-Audio audiophile USB that I use at another loacation that I brought here for temporary use. It does not have any hiss with my headphones, and it actually sounds a bit better than the TBH did (better DAC?). Should I just get another one of these? I'm not sure how great the headphone amp is in this piece. My guess is the headphone out is more of an afterthought on this piece.

Thanks!

Todd

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 6
Headroom has hinted at an upcoming product that might answer your issues. I've got the same issues. I've got a total bithead and with E3Cs the hiss was just too much for music with a lot of dynamic range (i.e. quiet passages). For typical pop type songs it wasn't such a big deal but like you said the sound out of the TBH is good but not great anyway.

I mostly use my E3Cs portable so I've bought another amp (amps actually
biggrin.gif
) for portable use and I'm using the TBH for now on my home system with 120 Ohm HD595s. With the less efficient and less isolating cans the hiss isn't such an issue. But I'm looking for the same product you are - although for me portability would be a nice additional feature.

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #3 of 6
How bout this -

Xin Supermacro V3 with with the 627 op-amps - $340
M-Audio Transit - $75

Total- $415
VS
M-Audio Audiophile USB - $155

With the Shure E5c is there even any reason to spend the extra money?
If not, I'd rather spend the money upgrading my home sub to a REL or upgrading my home headphone amp to a Singlepower (with Senn 600s)

Note - the transit only has a line out and an optical out so I would have to use a cheap line -> RCA cable

Apr 15, 2005 at 1:46 PM Post #4 of 6
The new Porta Corda from Meier Audio will also have a USB input and may be worth checking out.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by goatwuss
How bout this -

Xin Supermacro V3 with with the 627 op-amps - $340
M-Audio Transit - $75

Total- $415
VS
M-Audio Audiophile USB - $155

What is the main difference between these two options?

Is the headphone out from the M-Audio Audiophile USB that much better
than from the M-Audio Transit? Is that why the Transit would need
an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back