does this portable exist?
Jan 20, 2003 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

epithetless

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I'm looking for an older PCDP with a decent-sounding, powerful headphone out (for listening at my desk) plus a line out (for making MD transfers) -- that plays CD-Rs well. I picked up a Sony D-235CK from a thrift store a while ago, and that would seem to fit the bill (a step up from my sound-distorting weakling of a Philips Magnavox player, at least)...except it sometimes skips and very often produces a staticy shuffling noise while playing CD-Rs. I'm looking for something that doesn't do this. Anti-skip isn't a huge deal since I'd mostly be keeping the player on my desk, but it also wouldn't hurt to have. So the question I pose, once again: does this player exist?

Also, is there anything comparable to this (a good-sounding headphone out and CD-R compatibility being most essential) for a more portable, gets-bumped-around-a-lot kind of setup? Are the Panasonic SL-CT570 or SL-CT470 the best I can do there? Or are there other recommendations?

Thanks,
David

Jan 20, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 19
All the old sony players play cd-rs and have more powerful sound then todays players. With no amp, the ct570 might be the best you can do for portable use.

Biggie.

Jan 20, 2003 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 19
For desk use you can simply pick up one of Sillicon Salvage's Sony D-25s for $40. Not too expensive and they're new old stock.

I have two and both work perfectly. The audio quality from the headphone and line out is fantastic, really detailed with good treble and enough bass. The sound is especially good when using a good stable powersource, such as a stabilized adapter or an external batterypack.

(Just make sure you remove an external batterypack when not using it, as it somehow depletes them even then)

They are small, with a metal casing, lit display and look great. You can even get a wireless remote for it (RM-DM1).

I've tried a burned disk with one of them yesterday and it worked perfectly. I also don't have any trouble with skipping CDs. Though it might be more picky when a disk is very dirty or scratched (mine are never in a really good state though).

Jan 20, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 19
Thanks NotoriousBIG_PJ and LamerDeluxe (tm). Looks like I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a SL-CT570. As far as all old Sony players being able to play CD-Rs, I've heard that's the case elsewhere, too...but some folks on these boards also state that many of those players get finnicky and start skipping. I assumed that was the deal with my D-235CK (it produces a soft, repetitive, shhk shhk shhk static sound at the beginning of some CD-Rs, and only an occasional skip/jump), but maybe my unit is defective. Basically, I'm looking for something that is known to play these discs reliably, without adding strange mechanical noises (or random skips) to the music...so if anyone else has firsthand experience with a particular model, please chime in...

If you know of older Sony models that are particularly NOT good - sound, performance, or otherwise - I'd like to hear about those too. I've been scouring ebay for cheap players, but the variety can be daunting...

Jan 20, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)

They are small, with a metal casing, lit display and look great. You can even get a wireless remote for it (RM-DM1).

LamerDeluxe -- Do you have the remote? If so, where did you get it?

Jan 20, 2003 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 19
Yes, I do have the remote and it's very nice. The 'eye' (rm-dm1k) looks really cool and connects securely to the Discman.

The remote is like a regular remote, it's long and slender and the top 'panel sticker' is a sheet of metal. It uses two AA batteries. There's a small red LED at the top of the panel which lights up when you press a button.

You can directly select tracks with the number and '+10' keys. You can switch between tuner and CD operation. Then there are keys for repeat-mode, A<->B repeat, shuffle, AMS, search, play, pause and stop. There are no buttons for index search, volume or other functions.
(though I just read that the D-250 (and probably others) do respond to index search and remain infrared codes, don't know which remote would have those)

The remote is much easier to operate than the Discman itself, especially selecting tracks and fast-forward/reverse.

Anyway, I got it from e-Bay, where it was included with a black D-250, the D-250 also came with the original bag. But as you can understand I mostly bid on this auction because of the remote control. The remote's eye looks really good on the black D-250, the amber lighting of the display makes the unit look even cooler.

Oh BTW, the remote works with a lot of the older Sony Discmans and I read here somewhere that the more recent RM-DM5 should work as well, which is a credit-card sized remote. Haven't seen one anywhere yet.

Jan 20, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 19
You're welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

I think one included with a Discman on e-Bay will be your best bet. Or ask for one in the buy/sell forum here, who knows.

Jan 21, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #9 of 19
Are you saying your player plays all normal cd's perfectly? Other factors may include the material of your cdr's. I know my playstation cannot read blue cdr's but is ok with green or silver.

Biggie.

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:02 AM Post #10 of 19
Lamer Deluxe...

You said Tuner... on the D25??
eek.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 19
My Sony D-E307CK (April 1997) still works like a charm.

doesn't get quite as loud as i need with the HD580s... which is pretty typical. sound quality is pretty good. clean treble and precise bass. it plays anything i've thrown at it including BLACK cd-rs.

Jan 21, 2003 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 19
I think your better off with a Sony D-33 as a stationary discman, it has a line out and sounds wonderful. The 25S on the other hand is well....bright. I picked one up on ebay used for about $5 and it works perfectly.

The only cool thing about the 25S is that you can view remaining tracks and time via the display.

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 19
NotoriousBIG_PJ:

Upto now, yes, and again my CD's are not in a great state, I usually leave them somewhere stacked on top of each other without boxes.

Haven't tried blue CD's, but green ones work as well as black Playstation disks (watch out for the first data track, this discman will play it resulting in terrible noise).

Duncan:

The RM-DM1 remote can be switched to tuner control, ofcourse this remote is not exclusively for the D-25, which doesn't have a tuner.

Maybe it works with older Discmans that have a tuner (probably), but I also saw that this remote was used for full-size minidisc players as well, so who knows what other equipment it was included with.

gloco:

Yes, the sound of the D-25s is bright. Usually it's not overly bright unless the recording is.

The brightness of the sound seems to bring out even the smallest details and I think it helps the great soundstage. Regardless, the sound is very full and there usually is enough bass. Again, I think using an external battery makes a lot of difference to the sound.

I'm still not sure if this brightness is extra brightness, or you're simply hearing the limit of the 16-bit audio. In comparison, the treble of my Denon DCP-150 seems a bit subdued, detail and soundstage seem to be less, the sound seems less full and impressive. The megabass on the Denon is aweful BTW, the second setting also boosts treble and it sounds terrible, way too bright. I do have the Denon on a 750mAh stabilized powersupply, which might be deteriorating the sound, I haven't got an external battery pack for it yet.

This is all only testing the headphone outputs, haven't tried line-out or digital (d-25 doesn't have digital), these should potentially provide better sound than the headphone-out.

I should be getting a D-555 as well this week, so I can compare other Discmans to that one. Right now I'm using Philips SBC-HE915 earbuds which are very noticably better than my Sennheiser MX-500's, much clearer, smoother and more detailed.

Jan 21, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by LamerDeluxe (tm)
gloco:

Yes, the sound of the D-25s is bright. Usually it's not overly bright unless the recording is.

The brightness of the sound seems to bring out even the smallest details and I think it helps the great soundstage. Regardless, the sound is very full and there usually is enough bass. Again, I think using an external battery makes a lot of difference to the sound.

I'm still not sure if this brightness is extra brightness, or you're simply hearing the limit of the 16-bit audio.

Actually besides being a bright player, it sounds very metallic, i guess what your trying to refer to as the limit of 16 bit audio? The D-33 doesn't sound like that at all. I know i'm not the only person who thinks the 25S is a very metallic sounding player, calling the player's playback bright isn't the only issue that i have with the player.

Jan 21, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 19
I think maybe the D-25s filters slightly too little, so you can still hear some jaggies from the original 16-bit audio. It's only 4 times oversampling, instead of the 8 times some others use (like the D-33, I think). I think my Denon DCP-150 might be applying a bit too much filtering, resulting in a very smooth sound, but losing some treble, soundstage and detail.

I don't really think the D-25s sounds metallic though, it can be a bit too bright with music that has harsh treble. I don't know what you are using for a powersource, but IMO using an external batterypack helps the sound in this area as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back