Does this make sense?
Oct 15, 2011 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rstark18

New Head-Fier
Just looking for some general opinions about some earbuds I have. And please excuse my very un-technical knowledge about describing sound.

I have been fairly happy with my stock iPhone earbuds with foam covers. I think they have plenty of base and sound generally okay.
I bought a real cheap pair of Sennheiser MX271 to sleep with mainly for the small size so they would be comfortable if they stayed in through the night. I was pleasantly surprised that they sounded better than my stock Apple buds. So I figured a step up from the MX271 would sound as good or better and have a nicer cord so I bought the MX471. 

I find the sound isn't nearly as pleasant. For some reason they sound more "tiny" and not as full as the MX271. I tried burning them in for about 6-7hrs today but the sound hasn't changed much. Should I expect any more out of these? I REALLY wanted to like these.

I also bought a pair of Blue Ever Blue Black (328R) and although the detail is very nice and they don't seem to sound "tiny" the bass isn't enough for my taste. Worst of all with these, they seem to wear on me and as they BeB states No Fatigue, it seems for me they are the worst with fatigue.

edit: by "tiny" I mean the highs are piercing (if that makes sense).

Sennheiser MX271 - $12. Nice bass. Comfortable sound. Comfortable fit.
Apple Stock Buds - $0. Okay bass. Comfortable sound lacking in detail. Comfortable fit.
Sennheiser MX471 - $18. Lacking bass - Overall harsh highs. Comfortable fit.
BeB Black (328R) - $20. Lacking bass - Great overall sound but fatiguing. Comfortable fit.
Here are my selection from overall best to worst (R-L):

Oct 15, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Yah with low price buds your results will be very spotty at best. They aren't made to be compared or have competition just a quick WalMart buy.
If you want to take a step up with the budget you will get better sound and we could help you . Also next purchase go with inside the ears as they tend to be alot better.

Oct 15, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the help. I have tried an array of $100-$200 IEM but CAN'T get used to them. They always end up getting returned. I know they sound great but I just can't have anything stuck in my ear canal (I'm weird that way). For me comfort is a BIG must. I would try the Senn MX980 but I don't see the point as everyone says how uncomfortable they are (and I must have small ears). I was thinking of getting Yuin PK3's but thought the BeB's were supposed to be slightly better. I just can't seem to find a great pair of buds that fit me well and sound great. It's not like I'm not willing to spend the money.

Also, should the piercing highs of the MX471's relax more after a while or is it the bass that tends to develop?

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Also, should the piercing highs of the MX471's relax more after a while or is it the bass that tends to develop?

The highs should smoothen out a bit, but it's not going to be a huge difference. To be honest, it sounds like you're having more of a fit issue as I wouldn't describe the MX471 as bass-light or the 328R as fatiguing. Have you tried the ear sleeves that came with the MX471 (since I see you're using the foams)?

If you are willing to try a higher-end earbud and don't mind an clip-on design, may I suggest the Creative Aurvana Air? I found them to be quite comfortable, and the hooks let you achieve a good fit. I also found them to be very pleasant to listen to, provided that the included foams are used. If you're interested in some more thoughts on them, check out KLS' review or my review.

Keep in mind that even going with higher-end buds does not guarantee that you'll achieve optimal sound and comfort.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
The highs should smoothen out a bit, but it's not going to be a huge difference. To be honest, it sounds like you're having more of a fit issue as I wouldn't describe the MX471 as bass-light or the 328R as fatiguing. Have you tried the ear sleeves that came with the MX471 (since I see you're using the foams)?
If you are willing to try a higher-end earbud and don't mind an clip-on design, may I suggest the Creative Aurvana Air? I found them to be quite comfortable, and the hooks let you achieve a good fit. I also found them to be very pleasant to listen to, provided that the included foams are used. If you're interested in some more thoughts on them, check out KLS' review or my review.
Keep in mind that even going with higher-end buds does not guarantee that you'll achieve optimal sound and comfort.

When I say lacking bass (471) I'm just comparing to the 271. If I didn't have the 271's side by side I would probably think the bass was fine and I think it would be good enough if the highs didn't bother me.

I have no idea whats going on with the 328R's because I love the sound from them (could have a little more bass) but they just annoy me after a while and I really can't pinpoint it. Could it be the type of foams I'm using? BTW I'm using the same foams for all the headset (bulk pack from Amazon).

I haven't tried the rubber sleeves because I didn't want them to be too big but I'll try them.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 7
When I say lacking bass (471) I'm just comparing to the 271. If I didn't have the 271's side by side I would probably think the bass was fine and I think it would be good enough if the highs didn't bother me.

I have no idea whats going on with the 328R's because I love the sound from them (could have a little more bass) but they just annoy me after a while and I really can't pinpoint it. Could it be the type of foams I'm using? BTW I'm using the same foams for all the headset (bulk pack from Amazon).

I haven't tried the rubber sleeves because I didn't want them to be too big but I'll try them.

That makes sense. I've never heard the MX271 (only the 270) but I wouldn't be surprised if they had more bass than the MX471. Still, the MX471 shouldn't be harsh in the upper range.

Foams can and do make a difference. Obviously thicker foams will give you more bass and less treble, while thinner or more porous foams will give you more high end and less warmth. It wouldn't hurt to experiment with different foams, including the ones that came with the earphones.

Oct 27, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 7
I tried the rubber sleeves that came with the 471's. I tried them on both the BeB's and the Senns. It made a world of difference. Surprisingly it didn't make them feel bigger or uncomfortable. The overall sound quality dramatically improved on both buds including the bass. Now the winner of the four is the 471's easily. I'm very surprised that these don't get more mention because for me they sound noticeably better than the BeB's which are supposed to compare with the Pk3. I'd like to see them compared by someone that knows what they are talking about to see if they have the same impressions as me.
After all the frustration I've had with buds and IEM's, I've decided to get a pair of ATH m-50 cans for when I'm at home. I'll be using the 471's while out and traveling. Next time I place an order on amazon I might pick up a pair of Pk3's to see how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back