Does this look normal to you?
Feb 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

OpusRob

100+ Head-Fier
phones.jpg

Got my new MS2i this week, and after my rapture at finally receiving the long-awaited happiness-in-a-box, I noticed on each earcup the artifacts that I hope you can see in the picture I am trying to attach here. It's sort of a semi-circle smudge, at four roughly equidistant positions on the metal housing in the ring just outside of the black one where the Alessandro/Grado badge is found. It doesn't clean off with water, and like I said, it is the same pattern on both. I am afraid to go more in-depth with the cleaning effort - not sure if I might do more damage than is already there. did anybody else have something like this, and did you just clean or polish them off, or should I send them back? I hate the idea that I am not starting out with something that is basically perfect from the get-go. I called Alessandro Friday, but never heard back from them. I waited 7 weeks for these, and don't want to get back in line again - I would hope that they would expedite any trades/returns. Ok - tell me what you think . . .

Feb 25, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 41
you need to upload that image somewhere and link it, can't do it from your current hard-drive :-/

http://photobucket.com/ like upload it here, open the image in your browser.
Copy the link and paste it into the image tag. (
)

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 41
I guess you can use metal polish, carefully, if thats just shade issue. I wouldnt count that as a real flaw. If its a real bump/groove, its definetly a flaw, but does it matter soundwise?

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 41
I'd say that the swirl was just a design element, because all of the curved lines seem uniform in shape and are spaced equally apart, but I seriously doubt that Alessandro would want to add the manufacturing costs required to create this pattern on the metal.

With that said, I'm almost positive that this will not affect the sound of your MS-2i's in any way, though I do understand your wish for everything to be perfect the first time around. My advice is to wait for a response from Alessandro before doing anything further.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 41
Try some alcohol...if not, consider it uniqueness of your MS2i =] It should not have any issues with sound.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 41
It's definitely not a sound issue. It almost looks like four places on each where the housings where clamped, where a stain then evolved. It looks most like a stain of some kind - it's not in the metal, but somehow on the surface, though it does not create any kind of texture change - totally smooth. Looked like water stains at first, but water had no effect in trying to clean them.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #9 of 41
Maybe you can try some sand paper?

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you can try some sand paper?

no. I would not do that. Try some mineral spirits (paint thinner) or nail polish remover or something strong. Its metal, so it won't damage it. Make sure you separate the metal parts from the rest of it so you don't damage the acoustics.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 41
I'm talking about something really fine grained, that shouldn't do any damage. Maybe even some very fine steel wool.

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Tried alcohol - no effect. (was I supposed to drink it?)

If all else fails =]

If there are no texture differences, I would not worry about it (unless you gotta have the pristine look).

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 41
I think I want the look - I was willing to put up with some stuff in the build quality of the 225's, but I want these to be just right starting out - they'll eventually have their oddities. I'll probably wait until I can talk to somebody at Alessandro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back