Does this exist?
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DoctorGerm

New Head-Fier
Looking for an MP3 player with all of the following:
  1. Plays lossless (preferably FLAC)
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Good amount of memory (i.e. 16GB) or uses a memory card (i.e. SD)
  4. 10 hours of battery life

I'm thinking of a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (as is recommended elsewhere) but it doesn't have Bluetooth which I'd just have to deal with...

An iPod Nano (I think...) will play ALAC, but I HATE apple products for various reasons. I'd rather stick with using wired headphones than get an iPod..

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 8
A good safe bet would be the Cowon J3 mate.Fantastic battery life and SQ with a decent price tag. Micro SD slot and no need for proprietary software like apple. + it comes with bluetooth and plays Flac files perfectly.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm in nearly the same boat as the OP minus Bluetooth and wanting an Android based player.

Is there a successor to the J3 which is nearly impossible to find new? Everyone seems to hate the X9, maybe it's the Z2 but that uses an old version of Android.

I was looking into a Sony Walkman F or Z series and they do have 32GB models available and some 64 ones too. Unfortunately they don't support SD cards and it looks like you have to use Sony's software to sync which I'm not the highest on (one reason why i hate Apple). They also have the newer version of Android which I'm guessing runs smoother.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
I'm in nearly the same boat as the OP minus Bluetooth and wanting an Android based player.

Is there a successor to the J3 which is nearly impossible to find new? Everyone seems to hate the X9, maybe it's the Z2 but that uses an old version of Android.

I was looking into a Sony Walkman F or Z series and they do have 32GB models available and some 64 ones too. Unfortunately they don't support SD cards and it looks like you have to use Sony's software to sync which I'm not the highest on (one reason why i hate Apple). They also have the newer version of Android which I'm guessing runs smoother.

The Z2 is good although has some short comings. The Sony Z1000/1070 is what I consider an almost perfect player although has no microSD slot and no outside forward/previous buttons. The quality and finish is outstanding and provides Cowon like sound quality. If Cowon were to release an updated Z2 which they should as it's almost 1.5 years old I would purchase it.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 8
The Z2 is good although has some short comings. The Sony Z1000/1070 is what I consider an almost perfect player although has no microSD slot and no outside forward/previous buttons. The quality and finish is outstanding and provides Cowon like sound quality. If Cowon were to release an updated Z2 which they should as it's almost 1.5 years old I would purchase it.

Thanks for your insight. Is there anything better about the Z over the F as a music player? I know they both have different sound signatures but are still high quality. And how is the Sony program for syncing? Can I use JRiver, MediaMonkey, or Foobar to manage my music and still easily sync to the Z or F?

Both seem to fit the OP's criteria with the F being cheaper.

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Wonder when/if this Cowon device gets updated?..

Quote:
Thanks for your insight. Is there anything better about the Z over the F as a music player? ...

Both seem to fit the OP's criteria with the F being cheaper.

If I'm looking at the right stuff, the Z series is discontinued by Sony? Can't believe the walkmans don't at least use Sony's proprietary memory sticks. Suppose I would look at the 32GB versions since they are so expensive, at least get the larger capacity.

how is the Sony program for syncing? Can I use JRiver, MediaMonkey, or Foobar to manage my music and still easily sync to the Z or F?

I'm wondering the same thing. Way back in the day I used the Sony MiniDisc player (MZ-S1)... God I hated using their software... lol. But it was actually a durable device for what I do and I may have been one of the only people who liked it!

Thanks ALL for your advice thus far!

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Looking for an MP3 player with all of the following:
  1. Plays lossless (preferably FLAC)
  2. Bluetooth
  3. Good amount of memory (i.e. 16GB) or uses a memory card (i.e. SD)
  4. 10 hours of battery life

I'm thinking of a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (as is recommended elsewhere) but it doesn't have Bluetooth which I'd just have to deal with...

An iPod Nano (I think...) will play ALAC, but I HATE apple products for various reasons. I'd rather stick with using wired headphones than get an iPod..

You want to use flac with bluetooth????? Bluetooth decreases audio quality substantially. If you are serious about sound quality then you don't want bluetooth. MP3 at 320 kbps is indistinguishable from FLAC for 99% of the population when used  on a portable player.  I can't even hear the difference between mp3 at 256kbps and 320kbps. Most of the time I can't even hear the difference between mp3 256kbps and the original CD when using portable equipment and headphones. Bluetooth also decreases battery life substantially. I suggest you get a Sandisk Clip Zip and Rockbox it if you don't plan to use any protected files. Bluetooth adds to the player cost, decreases battery life, decreases sound quality, and adds to the headphone cost. Imo it is impractical and to be avoided except for use with a cell phone for telephone use.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
You want to use flac with bluetooth????? Bluetooth decreases audio quality substantially. If you are serious about sound quality then you don't want bluetooth.

I completely 100% agree. Just that my entire library is in FLAC (is what I use locally at home), so would require an extra step to make a separate library in MP3, etc.

This is not a situation where I'm looking for 'the best' sound on the road (with the portable player). Though I do that at home. More out of convenience.

Was looking at Bluetooth because I want to listen to music while doing 6-10 hour bike rides or 2-4 hour runs and considered going wireless for that.

I know, my situation may be a tad unique.

I suggest you get a Sandisk Clip Zip and Rockbox it if you don't plan to use any protected files. Bluetooth adds to the player cost, decreases battery life, decreases sound quality, and adds to the headphone cost.

After this research, I think you're right, just go with using a Sandisk Clip and stick with wired behind the ear headphones. Would save at least $200-300 and wouldn't have to convert any music to a lossy format, plus I think the Clip should be 'smaller' than any bluetooth alternative (important for the use scenario I listed above) in addition to the battery life issues.

but... maybe a device comes along with all that I'm looking for along with a good cost, size, and battery life...

I can't even hear the difference between mp3 at 256kbps and 320kbps.

When I do convert to MP3, I use VBR -V0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back