Does this exist?
Feb 20, 2006 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

familyman

500+ Head-Fier
Is there a piece of equipment that can filter sound frequency? i want to set up my living room to have one 8 inch sub, one 10 inch, and one 12 inch. i was wondering if there is a peice of equipment with L/R rca inputs and 3 or more L/R rca outputs that you can filter the frequency to.. so the 12 inch sub only responds to say 15-40hz, the 10 inch to 35-80hz, and the 8 inch to 70-120hz.... is this possible?
confused.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 5
If you're powering the subs with subwoofer plate amps, which already come with low-pass crossovers, all you need is two high-pass crossovers. There are a variety of things that do this, but one of the cheapest and most configurable is the Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro. Don't let the stupid name fool you; it's a parametric equalizer designed for pro-audio applications, and, as such, is not as overpriced as a lot of audiophile gear. There have been three revisions, but all are fine for bass duty, and you can find them used on eBay frequently for as little as $65.

If you're not using subwoofer plate amps, you would need two of these in your proposed setup. I would suggest however going with plate amps so you can get variable phase control, otherwise the integration of this scheme is going to be quite a nightmare.

The great advantage of the BFD is that, being a fully featured parametric EQ, you can use it to help control the room response nodes as well as just do the crossover.

That said, I question the wisdom of your three subwoofer solution. It's going to be very hard to get cleanly integrated. You have the two larger drivers handling just a little over an octave, and the smallest driver not even handling a whole octave. It's complete overkill. I know you're looking for low distortion, but the tradeoff will likely be poor integration. You would be better off going with just two drivers - a 12 inch and an 8 inch - with a single crossover point in between. Drivers can handle at least two octaves. If you're into overkill and extreme low distortion, build both enclosures sealed and add a Linkwitz transform to the 12 inch driver (you may need to bump that up to a 15 inch driver under this scheme to get the SPLs you want). Incidentally, the BFD can simulate a Linkwitz transform too.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I do exactly what you are looking for with my TACT gear. A combination of a TACT RCS 2.2X or TCS MKII and BOZ 216/2200 amps will permit you to establish up to 17 crossovers (not that you would ever need that many) and design each response curve independently. I'll be using the setup to bi-amp a pair of Andra IIs, establishing one crossover for the lower driver and the mids/tweeters, and another for the subwoofers. In addition, you not only get equalization, but more importatnly, seamless room correction. After establishing the crossovers, you can send out pulses for each driver to independently correct and align each driver or group of drivers.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 5
wow thats a ton of info, and all of it usefull. i currently have a PLSUBMKII and it has a low pass filter. it also has L/R rca outs... how could i hook up just a single 12 inch sub to the system and have the 8 inch sub only respond to the higher bass frequencies? the 12 would have to have a low pass filter right? what would be a good setting for the filter? 60hz? would i still use the BFD for this setup? thanks for all your help!

here's a pic of the back of the 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back