Does this ever happen to you?
Aug 24, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 28
Although I am of generally modest means, in addition to head-fi I also enjoy good wine. The phenomenon you describe happens with wine (and all specialized afficianado pursuits, I'm sure) -- we open a prized bottle with friends or her or my parents, and they sip, smile politely, and say that it's "nice", or "I like it a bit sweeter", or "I thought Zinfandel was pink!" (aka "These headphones are nice, but have you ever heard the ipod?") Meanwhile, wife and I are basking in the ethereal goodness of a magnificent wine. In the past, I kinda resented "wasting" a drop of good wine on non-enthusiasts, but now I am very happy to drink good wine with them (or drink KSC-35 wine with them, and save the high-end stuff for just us
biggrin.gif
).

Then our guests typically drop an ice cube in it and make odd faces when they ask the cost. My Dad loves to announce that he can't tell the difference between the expensive Champagne served at his kids' weddings and the $2 carbonated wine at the supermarket. :shrugs: Like head-fi, not everyone gets it. Likewise, there are many spendo hobbies that I don't get.
tongue.gif

EDIT: For example, I don't "get" expensive whiskey/whisky/Scotch, and from wine I do know how to critically taste. I guess this is like some speaker audiophiles not being able to fully appreciate headphones.

We would like to think that quality is blatantly obvious, but it does require both an interest and a trained taste/ear.

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #17 of 28
...my eyes glaze over in about 15 seconds when I ask an enthusiast about their car.
tongue.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 28
Car enthusiasts are the worst to ask about, unless you have a spare hour. Being both into cars and audio, I can say that both can be long-winded and most of the details are lost on uneducated ears.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #19 of 28
in the past year i've had to avoid three potentially dangerous situations in this context.

1. Alessandro MS-1 in a bookstore. Attractive lass asks me "are those Grados?" uh oh. Response- um, yeah, friend waiting over there cya.

2. Mailroom, KSC-35 in mid-blast with the SR71/ipod combo. Cute gal taps me on the shoulder and says "sorry to bother you, i just really need to know what you're listening to, it sounds great from over here!" rut ro. Response - err, the Gipsy Kings doing Hotel California. Her response - "Oh! I thought that sounded like Hotel California! But it sounds so different!" My response - ayep. Oh there's the elevator, nice talkin' to ya.

3. Elevator going down the lobby. Futzing with the CHA-47 and plugging in the 75 ohm adapter to my KSC-35s. Walking the dog. Door opens a few floors to go, someone walks in right before I hit play and I hear "OH SMOOCHIEPOOCHIE YOU'RE SO CUUUUTE YES YOU ARE!" Drop dead gorgeous woman scooched down giving my Shiba Inu doggy a big squeeze. "Oh, what kind of dog is she?" Response - Shiba, she's 5 years old. "Oh sorry, do you want me to hold her leash? It looks like you're busy with that headphone thing." response - em, no I'm ok oh here's the lobby c'mon doggy move it!

Headphones are not exactly an open invitation to flirt, but it can happen. Doggies on the other hand are very dangerous to a married man. And for some reason, so are babies. And the worst - walking the dog and baby at the same time alone along the river at sunset. I've been mobbed by quite a few baby/dog groupies, not all of which have had the purest intentions, go figure. Don't get me wrong, I'm no looker, but sometimes a mutual interest is mistaken for a mutual attraction, so you have to be on your guard.

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 28
where can I get one of them baby-dog combo thingies??

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir

Post in the FS/FT forum. I am sure someone here has one they are dying to get rid of.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by iSleipnir

Be careful; you might not like the sound signature of the baby v1. No mute button either.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #23 of 28
It does happen to me every now and then, and it is a rather interesting expereince as I try to learn the differing reactions of people and their personality traits out of it (well sort of)

I definitely agree everyone has his own crazy hobby, a money pit or a time wasting of his/her own. When they express their astonishment with amount of money I have spent on the equipment, I do get offended at times, depending on the way they express it. Respect is mutual, and whoever dares to run his mouth without concern for feelings on this end would really lose some respect. If I feel I have been challenged, I would even try to make a comeback with a witty comment on whatever noble hobby that person may have.

Quote:

I usually prefer not to talk about my HiFi stuff with None-audiophiles, since they really have no idea about what we are talking about.

most definitely. same goes for anime, its useless to "enlighten" the naysayers when they are armed with all sorts of justifications to get out of their denial; it simply isnt worth my time when I could use it to watch more or have a meaningful conversation who shares the similar view. Same goes for music/headphone gear.

Aug 24, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #24 of 28
Absolutely correct. Or the "Why wouldn't you buy speakers?" Oh, yea I'm an audiophile too.. "What do you have at home?" "How much?" "Why?".. Same reason you have HDTV and the home theater "package" from BOSE... Your picture is perfect but my sound is immaculate... something like that.
hahahahaa yEa!

Aug 25, 2005 at 9:13 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
, and she often plugs the RS-1 directly into the TV in order to not disturb my listening sessions.
Who can ask for more?
cool.gif

You eediot, or at least the girl, those things almost go louder to the outside than speakers!
basshead.gif
blink.gif

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:04 AM Post #28 of 28
I get pulled into those situations all the time by people I am SURE have no idea that their stock iBuds sound like crap. The usual thing is:

1. They look at my headphones (which I am listening to), and start talking as if I could hear them.
2. I take off the headphones, say "what?", and they repeat "nice headphones" or something of that nature.
3. Here they come, the inevitable questions: "Those look stupid on your head, but how do they sound?", "HOw much were they?", and "Why would you pay so much for headphones, especially if my $10 ones sound the same?, obviously not for style..".
4. I reply: "Better than what I just heard coming out of your mouth.", "More than your life.", and "So you can stand here and babble on after noticing my headphones, which gives me a reason to live each day. It is because of people like you I don't strangle myself with the cord that came with these expensive cans...jerk." and smile (yes, usually those exact words).
5. Smile again, put on the headphones, and walk off.

Every once in a while, someone will include a "I bet my Bose Triports sound better than those things", to which I reply by pointing, laughing, and walking off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back