Does the Zune HD work with anything other than Zune Software?
Oct 5, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RagingForces

Head-Fier
Zune HD Owners, Can anyone confirm the following?

Will the Zune HD work with ( not necessarily synchronize ) any software other than the Zune 4.0 Software?

Example: MediaMonkey, zAlternator, Windows Media Player 12, Windows Explorer (drag-and-drop?)

Thanks in advance!

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 16
Pretty sure they've gone the itunes route, so that means no. Idiocy IMO. Maybe if it ever becomes popular there well be plug-ins for various MP's a la ipod, but until then...

Oct 5, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 16
The main reason i'm asking is because i've fallen in love with the Zune Pass. I completely love the ability to explore so many artists as fast as I want.

The part I do not like however is having to hand over my existing music folder to Zune software and watch as it alters my artwork. I have scanned my own album art and do not want that altered.

I currently have the Cowon S9 and have become elated by its sound quality. Unfortunately dealing with DRM material (such as my Zune pass content) on the S9 is cumbersome at best.

While I'm not entirely enthused to compromise on sound quality from the Cowon S9, I would like the ability to use a Zune HD for the Zune Pass content but also "roll my own" content on the Zune HD without first having to utilize Zune Software's as the gateway.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 16
I don't know if you would want to go through the effort, but you can add/change your album covers. I just put my covers in the folder with the songs and Zune will usually pick that up and use it. If it doesn't I just tell Zune where to find it. I try to find the actual album covers online (google images) and use those, but I don't see why you couldn't put whatever picture you want as the album cover. You should be able to point Zune to wherever you want for the picture.

Oct 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 16
Aye, there is and it is checked on both computers. I may be using too high a resolution art file (640x640) for Zune Software to understand, or it may be the album art file size is too large, but the software does change the artwork on some albums to a lower res version.

I will check on customizing the artwork back to original scan using the Zune software.

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 16
No, it does not work with iTunes or other software. It also does not work with Macs. However, if you are a PC owner and not in love with the iPod please give this a shot. I have an iPhone, iPod, and got a Zune HD a few weeks ago and it changed my listening experience. The Zune software is amazing and quite a departure from iTunes (which is pretty much the same UX since it came out circa 2002). It's very intuitive. The player is amazing too. No lag in the UI, HD Radio, wireless sync. Pretty neat stuff.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #9 of 16
I always try to find the highest resolution cover art possible and I know I have many that are more than 640x640. To date I have had no problem importing them and having Zune display them.

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #10 of 16
I actually fell in love with the Zune Marketplace far before I seriously considered the Zune HD.

I had the biggest *click* moment today when I realized that I could just keep the Zune HD untethered forever, using Wi-Fi to grab all the content i'm interested in. I use the Zune software on my home computer and work laptop and am very pleased with it.

I did get the album artwork settled, and it turns out I simply overlooked the update album artwork option. I can set it to whatever I want and it works fine.

I am currently a PC user (Windows 7) so the lack of Mac support does not bother me and in fact i'm quite pleased its not something like Itunes which I personally do not enjoy at all.

I am currently using a Cowon S9, and have been experimenting with it for the (roughly) week that I've owned it. Its a fantastic device, but I am currently planning to order a Zune HD 32GB to experiment with. The Zune Pass has really changed how I approach music and the ability to be completely untethered and go wireless is very powerful for me.

I am excited by what Microsoft offers in the Zune HD and the Zune Marketplace. The nice desktop software is really just a perk to it all. As far as managing the content that I already have, it actually occurred to me that I could just have the Zune go find and download all of it. I have master flac archive of my music so keeping up with a 2nd mp3 archive set is not something I really need to do.

All told, i'm looking forward to experiencing the Zune
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 16
I have had a Zune 120 for about 6 months now and I love it. The marketplace is fantastic, much better than other options out there. I have an AMP3 which I enjoy the most and think sounds the best for audio, but it's a one-trick pony. The audio quality is a great trick, but obviously it's limited in what it can do. My Zune quickly became my favourite multi/general use device.

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 16
RagingForces

Just let Zune loose on your backup directory. You do have two copies of everything don't you?

Oct 17, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #13 of 16
I think you will enjoy the zune experience. I know i have since the zune 30. I recently got the zunehd and the ui is actually amazing. I was using my friends itouch the other day and its UI for actual music is very lifeless and boring. But maybe thats just the fanboy in me talking

Oct 25, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 16
What I do with my Zune HD / Zune software is I format all my music (correct spelling, album art, genre, etc.) in iTunes. This encodes the actual music file that the Zune software reads, and it keeps everything as is. I've never had the Zune software replace something for me in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back