Does the Zen Micro have any buzz, clicks, or hum?
Jul 7, 2005 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

lionface

New Head-Fier
I noticed that in my Creative N200, while playing WMV, 128kpbs, and 192kbps MP3 files, there is a slight hiss that I can hear in my headphones. (not headphone problem). I can hear this hiss with every song when there is low sound (like when the song starts & ends) even when the backlight is off.

Another thing is that sometimes, very seldom, there is a short "click" that I can hear when a song is playing. Read this thread for more info http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100552

Also, I've heard that hard drive mp3 players like the Zen Micro has hard drive "hum". Can you hear the hum by placing your ear close to the Micro? Or can you hear the hum through the headphones?

Or any "high pitched squealy noise"? http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120897

I am planning to buy a 5GB Zen Micro and I am wondering, from ZM users, are there any of these four problems that are evident on your Zen Micro? (I want the clearest sound possible for songs, no clicks, buzz, or hum)

Jul 7, 2005 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 7
I've never heard anything from mine, I can hear the hard drive when I hold it up against my ear, but barely in a quiet room. Haven't heard any hissing noise, but my koss plugs aren't the greatest in the world, so I can't guarantee there's none, all I know is I haven't heard any hissing/squealing/clicking at all.

And before you jump on me for having those, there's a remote and a set of e2c's in the mail, or at least the order is being processed as we speak. Curse you bastards.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Neither of my Zen Micros (2 in total) have had unwanted noises of any kind. I have only played mp3-files though (both cbr and vbr at 192 - 320 kbit/s)

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 7
The only noise I ever hear coming from my micro, other than music out of the jack, is the almost inaudible whirr of the hard drive spinning up and down. I can only hear it if I put the micro close to my ear and its dead silent. Other than that (which I think all HD players do) I havent run into any noise making problems.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
The only noise I ever hear coming from my micro, other than music out of the jack, is the almost inaudible whirr of the hard drive spinning up and down. I can only hear it if I put the micro close to my ear and its dead silent. Other than that (which I think all HD players do) I havent run into any noise making problems.

Thanks for the replies guys. What's important to me is that through the headphones of the Zen Micro, I can only hear the song and no hardware/software sounds.

Jul 8, 2005 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 7
I returned my micro this afternoon due to finally getting fed up with a high pitched whine I could hear through both the stock buds and my e3's, due to the hard drive spinning. [Check out original thread here ]http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=125094].

I did exchange the micro for another though, as I really can't say enough about the quality of this little guy, minus the one issue. Apparently it isn't present on all devices, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed here.

If I were you I'd consider buying locally so you might be able to swap or return if the problem presents itself. Don't get me wrong though, as I'm definatley happy with this buy and will keep the zen even if i do hear the whine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back