Does the Tomahawk do Jazz and Classical well?
Oct 1, 2007 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jpstereo

500+ Head-Fier
...looking for a new portable and am seriously considering a new TH. Love that red! I am curious as to how many TH owners out there listen to Jazz (and some classical) and what they think about the TH. I am looking to get a pair of Super.fi 5's to go along with it.

Regards,

John

Oct 1, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 12
The TH was designed for, and excels with IEMs. IEMs as a whole are very detailed. If it's on the recording you will hear it in spades. So if Keith Jarrett's off key humming, or Yo-Yo Ma's snoring does not bother you, go for it.

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The TH was designed for, and excels with IEMs. IEMs as a whole are very detailed. If it's on the recording you will hear it in spades. So if Keith Jarrett's off key humming, or Yo-Yo Ma's snoring does not bother you, go for it.

I thought I ws the only one who noticed Keith Jarrett humming or doing SOMETHING with his vocal chords while playing. And yeah, really off key

And David Helfgott playing Rachmaninoff sounds like he's snoring too--or some kinda strange noise.

Oct 1, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I ws the only one who noticed Keith Jarrett humming or doing SOMETHING with his vocal chords while playing. And yeah, really off key

And David Helfgott playing Rachmaninoff sounds like he's snoring too--or some kinda strange noise.

Jarrett, Ahmad Jamal, Oscar Peterson, Thelonious Monk, even Hiromi, hum (off key) while playing. I think they picked up the piano because they couldn't sing. Actually I think it's part of the improvisation process, be-the-tune-play-the-tune.

Cleveland Quartet, Perlman, Kremer, all snorers (heavy nasal breathers).

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cleveland Quartet, Perlman, Kremer, all snorers (heavy nasal breathers).

I was just listening to Perlman playing Paganini last night through my ER4Ps, iMod and TH and I noticed this and it was actually quite offputting. I found myself wondered whether they could have done something about it in the mastering!

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 12
No offense but this is just a ridiculous question, it's crazy to think of an amp being more well-suited to a genre (or two, or three) of music. These are amps, not headphones - they're either good at portraying all types of music or they're not, it's basically as simple as that. Pick your amp based on some other criteria.

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpstereo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm .. humming....snoring ... sounds like the TH is quite a resolving little unit. That's enough for me!

It's not the amp, it's the IEMs that it was designed for. You plug in a pair of Grados and you'll hear none of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense but this is just a ridiculous question, it's crazy to think of an amp being more well-suited to a genre (or two, or three) of music. These are amps, not headphones - they're either good at portraying all types of music or they're not, it's basically as simple as that. Pick your amp based on some other criteria.

On a larger scale I've always felt that tube amps sounded better with acoustical, unplugged music. I was excited when the Millett was introduced by disappointed that it did not meet my expectations.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 12
jpstereo, I listen mostly to jazz and I had the opportunity to comparer the SR71, w/ The Hornet "M" and the Tomahawk. IMO the SR71 was the best because it has the best soundstage, clarity, detail and the most even presentation of the three.

Oct 3, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

x2

Except I would include headphones as well.

Oct 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Asr - I will amicably disagree as I have had many (non-tube) stereo amps and can attest to their unique sound presentation. For instance, my Audio Analogue Puccini was far better at presenting the subtleties of Jazz and Classical while my MF a300 was more adept with pop and rock. I have to believe that headphone amps may also share theses traits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back