Does the Teac UD 503 sound bright?
Jan 30, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 3
I tried one. It was OK. Had the 501 to demo before it. Didnt like the 501. That was cold and sterile big time to me. The 503 was much better but I still felt it weak and both Teacs seems to rob the low end.

Just my non scientific listenting tests. I am a vinyl guy. Heck I even prefer tape to Digital and listen to cassettes with my NAK 505. Would like to find a DAC myself that sounds real. My dealer tells me I have to spend over 10k to get what I want. I smell a little old school dealer BS on that one. That buys alot of records.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #3 of 3
  I tried one. It was OK. Had the 501 to demo before it. Didnt like the 501. That was cold and sterile big time to me. The 503 was much better but I still felt it weak and both Teacs seems to rob the low end.

Just my non scientific listenting tests. I am a vinyl guy. Heck I even prefer tape to Digital and listen to cassettes with my NAK 505. Would like to find a DAC myself that sounds real. My dealer tells me I have to spend over 10k to get what I want. I smell a little old school dealer BS on that one. That buys alot of records.

I was an early adaptor of the ud-501 and I strongly disagree with your findings of the 501s' sound. I suspect that the settings on the 501 were not ideally situated. The sound of my 501 is not cold or sterile as you described it. But I do use a aftermarket power cord and interconnect on my 501 which does make a difference as it would on any dac . The 501 is capable of excellent sound and is pretty well resolved especially for its modest price . The headphone amp is serviceable but is somewhat limited by its gain rating . I wish you could hear my set up I am sure you would change your mind about the 501s sound .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back