Does the Stello da 220 mk II support a 24/96 signal?
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Binaural Fusion

500+ Head-Fier
I have been reading the Stello site and I'm confused by the wording:

" - Supports 44.1kHz/16Bit (Bypass), 48kHz, 96kHz and up to 24bit / 192kHz Upsampling (Sampling Rate Selectable)"

" SAMPLING FREQUENCY 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz, Selectable. 192 kHz Default"

April Music

I haven't looked in the manual because I am chairbound from my knee surgery, but I imagine it is equally confusing.

So, my question is: if I start playing 24 bit/ 96 kHz songs am I going to get the full benefit from the DAC?

Also, does anyone have suggestions where I could learn more about digital audio and formats so I'm not always so confused about things like this?

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #3 of 6
I own this dac as well. I don't blame you for being confused. I have no certain answer to your question, except that the USB connection clearly does not support 24/96 or 192 as input, that is, it will be down converted. I believe that 24/96 input via spdif or aes can be output as 24/96 or 192.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Is the any way to infer from the DAC chip or anything? ( I don't know much about DACs)

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the April Music site is far from clear on this question. I know several people who have emailed them for clarity and received some unclear answers. I can't post a link to the information because it will get deleted from this site :)

I'm not sure what you mean by it will get deleted. Is it something that can be addressed in a PM?

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 6
This is what I got when I asked for info on the 24 bit 96 kHz support:

"The DA 220MKII supports upto 96kHz at Digital Input Receiver and then up or down samples to 192, 96, 48, or bypass from input signal."

and then when I asked if this means that is supports 24 bit I got:

"
April Music
http://www.aprilmusic.co.kr/AM/DA220MK2_Manual_Eng.pdf
SoundStage! Equipment Review - Stello DA220 Mk II Digital-to-Analog Converter (4/2007)

- Supports upto 24Bit/192kHz upsampling
- Sampling Rate Selectable: Bypass, 48kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz
- True 24Bit Delta-Sigma DAC
- Digital De-emphasis
- Phase Selection: 0, 180 Degree
- On-chip PLL eliminates jitter
- Custom designed 6th order digital filtering circuitry
- Special buffer stage between digital filter and analog out
- Separate transformers for analog and digital circuits
- High quality electronic components and gold plated RCA connectors
- 4 Digital Inputs (1 AES/EBU, 1 Coaxial, 1 Coaxial or USB selectable, 1 Toslink)
- 3 Digital Outputs (1 AES/EBU, 1 Coaxial, 1 Toslink)
- 2 Analog Outputs: 1 Balanced Output (XLR) & 1 Unbalanced Output (RCA)
- Full Balanced Class A Operation Analog Stage

"

Does that mean yes? Is it so overwhelmingly obvious from the literature?

Does the fact that it is a 24 bit DAC mean that it natrually supports 24 bit input? I thought a lot of CD players that play a 16 bit format have 24 bit DACs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back