Does the sound card really matter?
Oct 5, 2007 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
Sometimes I use Corda Move as a DAC+amp for music stored in my PC. I know it's not the best DAC, but I have no choice.

When I connect the DAC to my PC... is the digital feed coming from the sound card? In other words, does the decoder really matter when it comes to sound quality?

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dkpaul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes I use Corda Move as a DAC+amp for music stored in my PC. I know it's not the best DAC, but I have no choice.

When I connect the DAC to my PC... is the digital feed coming from the sound card? In other words, does the decoder really matter when it comes to sound quality?

Corda Move, from what I can tell, uses a USB connection, which means it bypasses whatever sound card you have on your computer completely.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 7
What decoding? You mean MP3 -> PCM or something like that? It's your CPU which does that by following the instructions in your software. It works the same way with a "soundcard" and a "DAC".

Oct 5, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 7
Based on the flowchart above, your move does step 3 (D-A conversion), and amplifies the signal using the headphone amp stage and sends it to your headphones.

hence the quality of these two steps play a significant role in determining how good your music sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back