Does the Sony D25S play CDR's?
Dec 23, 2001 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 5
I very much doubt it will. CDRW requires a good deal more laser power, and IME nothing that's that old has a hope of being able to calibrate itself high enough to read the discs. I could be wrong, but assume it doesn't.

Why would you burn music onto CDRW anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Geoff
I very much doubt it will. CDRW requires a good deal more laser power, and IME nothing that's that old has a hope of being able to calibrate itself high enough to read the discs. I could be wrong, but assume it doesn't.

I'm pretty sure it's not laser power that's needed to read CD-RWs; it's the particular wavelength of the laser. And it's not likely that any CD player, no matter how new or old, that wasn't designed with the ability to read CD-RWs would be able to read them. Quote:

Why would you burn music onto CDRW anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not? You could burn a mix of new music onto one, and when you're sick of it, burn a new mix onto it. I realize CD-Rs are dirt cheap, but there are people out there who want to be able to read CD-RWs. When portable players have this ability, it's plastered all over the box in big letters.

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:11 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm fairly sure it is the power level, since CDRW discs are nowhere near as reflective. I wasn't aware that the wavelength of CD reader lasers has changed. But in any event, it's 99% certain that it WON'T work for CDRW unless it specifically says it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back