Does the song Bomba by Jah Wobble make your sub boom?
Jun 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mortonP

New Head-Fier
I went and bought a Totem Storm sub yesterday because I thought my Energy S8.1 sub was causing boom but it turns out I get the same boominess at certain low frequencies on my new sub as I did on the Energy sub. It is most notable on the song Bomba by Jah Wobble because he hits some very low frequencies in that song. I hate boomy bass and need to get rid of it and have tried various sub placements and settings in my surround amp but to no success. Only thing I can think of is poor room acoustics and did build a bass trap using a large basket planter with a fake fig tree and stuffed with old pillows and  packing materials. Any ideas on what to try next?

Should just add that I have set all my speakers crossover at 80hz and the sub at 90hz. I read one day somewhere that the sub should overlap by about 10hz to avoid any frequency holes so as far as I understand it this is the correct settings to use.

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 2
OK, no responses but I did some theorizing yesterday and have solved 80% off the boomy bass issue and it may be of some value to someone here so will answer my own post. It is purely a room acoustics issue. The 10"  space between my 50" plasma HDTV and the wall behind it are the cause of the boom. I went and bought a large floor mat and mounted that on the wall behind the TV, that has reduced it considerable but not completely so still need to get another smaller mat and mount that directly behind the sub. 

Another issue with large plasma HDTVs is the glass surface of the screen. Glass is highly reflective which is not good for high frequencies. There is nothing I can do about that though because I can't move the speakers closer into the rooms seating position so will have to live with it. The lesson learned here is that with stereo systems room acoustics are more important than your amp even so pay more attention to room acoustics instead of getting all sweaty over a new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back