Does the retina MacBookPro have optical out?
Jun 12, 2012 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

ddoyle777

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody know?
The specs only list "headphones". It would be a shame if the audio is degraded as the display is upgraded. Maybe this machine is optimized for 256 mp3! (yeech)

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
Anybody know?
The specs only list "headphones". It would be a shame if the audio is degraded as the display is upgraded. Maybe this machine is optimized for 256 mp3! (yeech)

The MacBook Pro (Retina) does not seem to have an optical (digital) output built in, but does have USB (digital) 3.0 output.
What where you planning on running this digital audio output to?
I'm sure your MacBook Pro will play from 128k to FLAC audio files.

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 18
There is very little out there about the MacBook Pro Retina having an optical output.
ddolye777, you can get the special Mac optical output cable and see if it works (same jack as the headphone).
The HDMI output can carry more audio then optical, Apple might be trying to push the HDMI for audio output, over optical.

Jun 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 18
Sep 23, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #7 of 18
jrossmanjr is correct.

Just to confirm, this was taken from the official specs on the Apple website:

Headphone port
  1. Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
  2. Support for audio line out (digital / analog)

Nov 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 18
But ... i thought the optical output of a MBP is limited to 24/96?  Can someone check on this?

And, is there also optical out on a MacBoor Air ?

thanks

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:
You are correct, I remember asking someone about this that confirmed it.

Not sure about the Air though, I would assume so?

I believe most Mac laptops are limited to 24/96, but I could be wrong. It would strike me as very odd if a MBP was less capable at anything than a MBA given the Air is designed to be über portable while the Pro is the flagship. I can alway ask my boss tomorrow to confirm with the Pro Retina, however.

The only reason I think it might go to 32/96 is because my iMac, which is a couple generations back at this point, does 32/96 so I wouldn't be all that surprised to find it was in the pro as well.

Either way, 24/96 should be pretty much enough unless you're expecting to spend more than the price of a MBPr again on audio gear in the form of a DAC, amp and epic headphones.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 18
Just wanted to chime in. My Retina MBP's digital out does indeed go up to 96/32.

I also have a quick question to those more knowledgable than me. Does setting this output to 32 vs. 24 make a difference if my DAC's input is rated at 24 bit? 

thanks.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in. My Retina MBP's digital out does indeed go up to 96/32.

I also have a quick question to those more knowledgable than me. Does setting this output to 32 vs. 24 make a difference if my DAC's input is rated at 24 bit? 

thanks.

I've heard it said that inputting from 32 to 24 can lead to a more bit-perfect signal. How true this is I have no idea. I don't imagine it would make an overly large deal, doubtfully one you'd be able to hear.

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 18
The Mac Book Air 2012 doesn't have an optical out.  I've read that 24/96 is via AirPort.  I use a PS Audio Digital Link III with my Mac Book Air.  I love the combo.  The iBasso D4 Mamba is great as a travel USB DAC.

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:
The Mac Book Air 2012 doesn't have an optical out. I've read that 24/96 is via AirPort.

I didn't believe this at first, but I searched Apple's specs for the Air and, sure enough, it only supports normal headphone out. That's... Kind of surprising. I didn't realize the digital interface took up so much room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back