Does the RA-1...
Apr 15, 2003 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

oas

Head-Fier
come in a wall plug version? all i have seen is 9v powered. I really want some grados and this seems to be the best amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2003 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 20
Music Direct sells the RA-1 (9v) for $350 and the AC version for $425. So the answer is yes, but it's more expensive. Apparently the AC version also has battery capability.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 20
Remember - given the same voltage and current - batteries will always sound better. That is because batteries are 100% pure DC...while AC power has to be converted to DC causing anomolies such as the ripple effect.

Apr 16, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #4 of 20
Apr 16, 2003 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Remember - given the same voltage and current - batteries will always sound better. That is because batteries are 100% pure DC...while AC power has to be converted to DC causing anomolies such as the ripple effect.

yes, that's true, but the conversion service from Grado is with +/- 12 volts DC so the sound in this case is better than with the original +/- 9 Volts

Apr 16, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by oas
come in a wall plug version? all i have seen is 9v powered. I really want some grados and this seems to be the best amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

You may want to look into other amps aswell. I tried out the RA-1 with SR-325's and wasn't overly impressed. I think there's a lot of other good options out there for that price. Some folks do really like it though.

Apr 16, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 20
Gilmore??? It was also designed for Grados by Kevin Gilmore

Apr 16, 2003 at 10:52 PM Post #8 of 20
Couldn't you just add a wall-wart in socket on the back, and solder the wires into the voltage imput lines? I can't imagine that being very hard

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
Couldn't you just add a wall-wart in socket on the back, and solder the wires into the voltage imput lines? I can't imagine that being very hard

I don't think it's that easy. I'm not a pro DIY, but you'd probably have to change the transformer, and maybe beef up the cap's as well.

Apr 16, 2003 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 20
you may need two power supplies, they work with +/- 9v, not with 9 volts directly, so you may need to attach two power supplies one on each connector....KR did that I think IIRC I read that in one thread some time ago, using the ratshack 9v eliminator....

Apr 17, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 20
Are we certain the AC version maintains DC 9V capabilities? I was under the impression once one goes AC Walwart...they lose the capability of batteries.

Apr 17, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
yes, that's true, but the conversion service from Grado is with +/- 12 volts DC so the sound in this case is better than with the original +/- 9 Volts

Higher voltage does not equate better sound.

Why do you think it sounds better?

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
Are we certain the AC version maintains DC 9V capabilities? I was under the impression once one goes AC Walwart...they lose the capability of batteries.

Yup.....you are correct,you have to go one way or the other when the unit is done by Grado.

Apr 17, 2003 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 20
The RA-1 AC version does NOT have battery capability, either. So, if you do end up choosing the RA-1, you'll either have battery capability OR AC capability - but not both in the same unit.

Apr 18, 2003 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by geom_tol
Higher voltage does not equate better sound.

Why do you think it sounds better?

Higher voltage, almost 33% over, depending on the design, with a good regulated and filtered power supply, means better sound, of course not out of a crappy wallmart. But anyway, there is a thread on that, and the guy who got the mod directly from Grado, explains his comparison, at least IIRC has a lot more gain, OTOH if Grado considered that the quality of sound would be compromised, I think that they would refused the idea instead of charging 75.00 for it.....Don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back