Does the PA2V2 stink at driving HD580's?
Feb 14, 2007 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

88Chris

100+ Head-Fier
yeah...i'm a "noob" and i don't really know too much about this stuff.
my pa2v2 drives my ms-1's and e4's fine. i guess the e4's don't need to be amped. but, i tried it anyway, just to see if it made a difference. anyway, i got my hd580's in the mail yesterday, plugged them into my PA2V2 and got...boring sounding headpones. it sounded like the music was coming from the other side of the house. so i plugged them into my old panasonic record player (which i bought at a garage sale for $10) and they sound amazing.
my questions are:
why do my hd580's sound like caca through my pa2v2?
if the amp is the problem, which portable amp will drive them?
why does this panasonic record player sound so good?

thanks
-Chris

Feb 14, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #2 of 6
The Panasonic either has more power, and/or a better board.

The PA2V2 is for portable solutions...but this is coming from a guy who is using the Hornet right now with his K701.

YMMV as always...also think about synergy as you complete and/or play around with your rigs.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #3 of 6
I am a noob as well but, i have read in several threads that the 2v2 is under powered for 580's. Check out skylabs portable shootout and pick on in your price range. Thats what this noob did.

Feb 14, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 6
I Chris, love that Rubber Johny avater
icon10.gif

I also have a pair of HD580 and they sure suck when they are plugged to the PA2V2. They are tuff cans to drive so they need more power, your receiver, even if he ain't the cream of the crop surely spit more juice hence more sound power. Even if it might not be as refined and good sounding as dedicated home amps out here it is easy to guess that it will do a better job than one of the cheapest portable amp out here.
So the question is do you realy need the HD580 to be portable or only use them at home?
If i were you, ill use the panasonic receiver untill you want to spend some money on a home amp and forget the powerfull portable amp if your only need is to drive the Senn since you already have a nice portable setup with the PA2V2 and E4C.
But that's just what i would do, so your the one to take the decision.

BTW if you are floating in money buy a good portable amp and a home amp
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back