Does the K271 sound good with both metal and electronic music?
Nov 13, 2004 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe it's because I don't have the proper amplification anymore, or maybe I just really *need* to have something to spend my money on, but none of my cans are really doing it for me right now. I love the K240S for it's midrange, but it's bass and lack of soundstage are a fault often times. The DT531 does lots of things well, but I'm not sure if it's really going to do anything *great* even when I get a good amp again. So now the K271S is catching my eye... and one of the main points I need to know about is whether it can span genres. I've found that for the most part, the cans I like for rock are ones that I can't stand for electronic music, and vice-versa. But I don't really care to be switching cans all the time, or finding an amp that will match up well with multiple cans of very different sound signatures. I hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree here...

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 8
I voted "Yes, but not exceptionally well," because though the K271S are very nice all-around cans that have no glaring weaknesses IMO, they lack the kind of real powerful viceral bass impact that makes those genres shine for me. Granted the only cans I've heard with that kind of bass are the HD650(balanced), E5, DT770, and PS1.

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I voted "Yes, but not exceptionally well," because though the K271S are very nice all-around cans that have no glaring weaknesses IMO, they lack the kind of real powerful viceral bass impact that makes those genres shine for me. Granted the only cans I've heard with that kind of bass are the HD650(balanced), E5, DT770, and PS1.

None of which fit my criteria, unfortunately, in price or otherwise. PS1/Balanced HD650 setups would be way too pricey, DT770 has a sucked-out midrange from what I've heard (although the 80 ohm version interests me), and I wouldn't care for a canalphone as my main listening device.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:58 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I really like the DT770's with metal, more so than the SR-325's.

Well, I don't think I'm very partial to forward-sounding headphones, either. My MS2s did not impress me.

Nov 14, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 8
I think the K271 actually sounds a great deal like a closed DT880. It is a bit brighter and less laid-back than the HD600 (as is the DT880), but with that boxed-in characteristic found in the soundstaging of most closed cans (save perhaps the CD3K, L3K, and R10). So I don't think the K271 would really be a drastic change, if only a slightly negative one, from the DT880 for you.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 8
REDVsion: Why not give the DT440 a try? You might like that thingy...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
REDVsion: Why not give the DT440 a try? You might like that thingy...

I'm steering clear of most Beyers because they have a characteristically dry midrange, which I'm not partial to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back