Does the HD650 sound slow?
Feb 17, 2008 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got a pair of HD650, and I think they have a rather "slow" sound. People who know what PRaT is all about will know exactly what I mean here.

When I compared the HD650 with my Rega Ela speakers playing some trance music (Push) the Ela's sound like they are absolutely dancing along to the music compared to the hd650 which sound like they are plodding along.

Also, the Ela's have them beat for clarity as well.

Its not like my amp and speakers were particularly expensive either, the amp costing £150 ($300) on ebay and the speakers from a UK forum for £100 ($200). Yet it runs rings around my headphone system for bass speed and overall clarity, HD650 (~ $400) and ANT Amber (~ $400).

I prefer to listen to those speakers quietly than even listening quite loud on the HD650.

I dont think the amp is to blame really, though I guess I could be wrong. This is the third time i've had the HD650 and with three different amps and sources, and although wonderfully comfortable, they just sound, well, a tad boring really.

I even bought a Behringer SX3040 sonic exciter to try and liven them up, and although it DOES help, it also helps the speakers in equal measure and the differences are STILL apparent.

Where do you go from here?

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 72
Yes, it sounds a bit slow compared to Grados. It isn't a problem to me then. Most who have experienced HD650 balanced say they speed up.

Feb 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 72
Might get a grado TBH. I dont particularly approve of their price fixing, but it would seem to offer the kind of sound I want.

I would like a headphone that sounds like my speakers. They are transmission lines with 5.5" drivers, and they are extremely clean sounding with very fast bass with no overhang at all, and they sound bright, but warm with a forgiving sound, that nonetheless sound truly amazing when fed good recordings, but still make subpar stuff very enjoyable.

Grado would appear to offer the kind of fast, driving bass and clear, non-veiled sound I am after.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #5 of 72
The DT880 were my previous headphones. I didnt really like them that much on my system as they sounded a little harsh and weightless and I didnt think they really grooved.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #6 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 were my previous headphones. I didnt really like them that much on my system as they sounded a little harsh and weightless and I didnt think they really grooved.

If you think the DT-880s are harsh (basing on my experience with the older-gen phones), I doubt Grados will make you any happier.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend you the K340 but they are not what you are after. Perhaps an Alessandro MS-2(i) will work the magic for you, but you absolutely must pair them with the flat pads. The bowl pads sound metallic harsh to me.

I agree the K340 are fast but very picky regarding amplification.

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 72
I dont subscribe to the idea a mere cable will help improve things like timing. I also object to paying a lot of money for wanky wire
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 72
They are very slow, specially in SE mode, try them balanced and it is a different story...Also the ANT is a very humble amp specially for the HD650. I heard and had home the first ANT prototype a few years back, and trust me that I od not feel it will be a really good option for the HD650, IMO you will need something beffier to power the HD650...for other headphones maybe it will be enough, but the HD650 needs something else...

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very slow, specially in SE mode, try them balanced and it is a different story...Also the ANT is a very humble amp specially for the HD650. I heard and had home the first ANT prototype a few years back, and trust me that I od not feel it will be a really good option for the HD650, IMO you will need something beffier to power the HD650...for other headphones maybe it will be enough, but the HD650 needs something else...

I'm pretty reluctant to change the amp, because in my personal experience, given how much money these things can cost, many of them seem to make precious little difference to the sound of many of the headphones i've used.

The ANT is probably the best amp I've owned to date though, I was under the impression it was meant to be a pretty decent amp, it was designed by guy who used to design Creek amps. I know the headphone amps are not held in particularly high regard on here but they make pretty decent integrated amps...

But if what you say is true, then perhaps it will be beneficial to try a low impedance phone with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back