does the FM transmitter have to be..
Nov 4, 2006 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

afobisme

500+ Head-Fier
from the same manufacturer as the portable player? i think the answer is no, but you never know.

so what's a good fm transmitter? and i''m kind of weary of using the car charger to power the player... especially when it's not on the freeway.

iAudio doesn't have a whole lot of accessories, it's hard to find their transmitter.

Nov 4, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 10
As long as there is a way to connect the output of the input to the input of the transmitter, you should be fine. You should know that there are a number of iPod-only FM transmitters that connect through the dock connector (or headphone/remote jack on older models), and they would not work with players from other manufacturers.

I have tried a few different FM transmitters, and to tell you the truth, they all sound like crap. Most of my friends don't care about the sound quality, but I prefer to just burn a few CDs for the car. I have heard good things about this model, especially when the transmit power is turned up via an internal pot. If I were looking for another FM transmitter, it's the one I'd buy, even though it's kind of expensive.

Nov 4, 2006 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 10
No.

I good review can be found at Playlist.

Of the FM transmitters, the ones from DLO seem to be the best.

I live and drive in the City. I have had little luck with FM transmitters.

Good Luck

Nov 4, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 10
Nov 8, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 10
I find the iriver AFT100 excellent for the car and long distance travel. With CDs it's dangerous fumbling around to change disks. With the iPod you can go practically all day without adjustments. I also using it in the house with my Radio Shack 12v power supply. Transmits a good distance without static. Compared to the CCrane transmitter I found the AFT better. And its cheaper too.

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 10
I did try the mod, Bob. The range increased but I had a problem with input signal overload. I could never get the adjustment right -- had to keep changing it whenever I switched sources. It may have been a faulty adjustment dial. I've had no overload problems with the iRiver. It doesn't have the adjustment dial but it's not needed once you're familar the strength of the input signal required for optimum transmission. The adjusted transmission strength of the CCrane and the iRiver I found to be the same.

While I'm at it, the iRiver fits neatly into the car's cigarette lighter socket and out of the way whereas the CCrane transmitter has to be stuck up somewhere on the dash convenient. I don't know how they do it but iRiver has an out of sight built-in antenna that works well whereas the CCrane antenna sticks out making it's presence obvious.

Soundwise, both are clear sounding and relatively noise free. However, the CCrane to my ears has a little fuller bass. The CCrane can be battery powered and the iRiver can't. The iRiver to be used in the house needs a 12v power supply adding to the cost. Since the CCrane is twice the price the iRiver is the better buy IMHO for virtually the same performance. However, if you add in the 12v power supply required for in-house use for the iRiver then the cost is the same.

Nov 10, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 10
It's too bad they don't make AUX line-in ports as standard equipment all all new car stereos. With the number of portable devices out there (mp3s/daps, media players, cell phones), it really makes sense!

rolleyes.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #10 of 10
I agree totally! It would be just a simple thing. Fortunately my 2004 Corolla has two 12v plug-ins. So I can have the transmitter and iPod plugged in together without worrying about battery drainage.

Another thing that irks me is the lack of MP3 playing capability on some new car CD players. My doesn't have it. Maybe because it a low-end model.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back