Does the dt990 have a harsh treble push?
Feb 16, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 21
I believe the Pro has a tighter clamping force and the headband doesn't adjust down quite as far, is there anything else? I know the Pro version has the coiled cord-- does the non-Pro version have a straight cord?

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 21
"Could somebody state the differences between the pro and regular dt990.Is it a good thing you get the pro whwn you order the regular dt990?"

If you use the "search" function you will find that this has been explained many times in the past.

- augustwest

Feb 16, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Hi there, how does the new DT990 stack up against the old DT880 (which I have and like a lot)? Has it just been rebadged? I am really looking for something in the same vein but with a somewhat fuller/punchier sound for rock/electronica (but bass must be tight and not boomy/flabby).

It is quite similar to the old DT880, perhaps a tad more bassy and the highs could be a bit more laid back. But beware that I do not have the old DT880 here for direct comparison, I had one for about a month before returning in early january. The character and the sonic signature have not changed much, that is for sure. I would not say it is worth upgrading to, if you already have the old DT880.

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 21
You can get the new DT-990s from Thomann.de for $225 shipped to the US... I was going to order them last week but they are out of stock right now so I figured I'd sit back and see what develops.

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
It is quite similar to the old DT880, perhaps a tad more bassy and the highs could be a bit more laid back. But beware that I do not have the old DT880 here for direct comparison, I had one for about a month before returning in early january. The character and the sonic signature have not changed much, that is for sure. I would not say it is worth upgrading to, if you already have the old DT880.

I'm hearing a big difference between the old 880's and new 990's. I can't claim to be an expert but I definitely think there is quite a difference between them (990's - punchier bass, warmer more involving sound, yet, to my ears at least, equally impressive detail & soundstage). The 990's are sounding fantastic to me - I'm happy for others to disagree & argue for the superiority of the old 880's, but these are doing it for me,

Ian

Feb 16, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervinos
I'm hearing a big difference between the old 880's and new 990's. I can't claim to be an expert but I definitely think there is quite a difference between them (990's - punchier bass, warmer more involving sound, yet, to my ears at least, equally impressive detail & soundstage).

I had the feeling that they add some qualities of the old DT990 to those of the old DT880, but I didn't want to step too far because I can't compare them directly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervinos
The 990's are sounding fantastic to me - I'm happy for others to disagree & argue for the superiority of the old 880's, but these are doing it for me,

I'm not yet sure if they are doing it for me (beeing more of a Senn guy), but they are definitely doing it better for me than the old DT880 did
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back