Does the diameter of bulk wire affect the sound quality of cable?
Jan 17, 2010 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tedczj

New Head-Fier
Recently I am planning to do a diy rca cable as the DIY Silver IC recipe by Chris VenHaus in here: DIY Silver Interconnects

It can be seen that the vh audio now offers two kinds of bulk sliver wire that everything is the same except the degree of the bulk wire:

28 AWG UniCrystal OCC SILVER/COTTON and
24 AWG UniCrystal OCC SILVER/COTTON

Does anybody can tell the difference on sound between the final rca cable made by this two cable?

BTW, do you have any ideas about the shield of the cables? I am planning to cover copper foils between the bulk wires and Techflex Sleeving. Is there better ideas?
And anybody have done the sliver cable as the recipe? Please tell me how does it sounds
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 4
I would use 24AWG for less resistance easier signal flow. 24AWG MAY sound fuller and more dynamic. Since they are silver, detail should be no problem, body is where you should watch out for. Also I would use UniCrystal OCC SILVER/COTTON in Litz configuration instead teflon tubing center. Unsheilded cable of same kind is always sound better if you don't have noise problem. I am not big fan of Techflex as they are stiff, Nylon is better IMHO.

My best sounding cable is ELF super helix gold, which made of 16 AWG very tight twisted soild core gold plated copper with no shield. They are better than my Zu Varial for midrange, vocal, tone. Zu is little better high and seperation, but voice is where fall short. Both cable dynamic and attak are about same, are one of best in this area.

Ofcourse my ELF cable is custom made, using 16 AWG instead factory 18 AWG.

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 4
This seems like one of those "duck and cover" questions to me. There is a whole school of thought that favors thin, solid core wire. And other schools look for complicated stranded cables. As for myself, I think that it may be time to drop out of school, although my experiments with single solid strand interconnects did not result in a sound that was to my liking. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back