Does the AMP work properly without a DAC?
Nov 15, 2019 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pensiero

New Head-Fier
Hi, I bought a Schiit Modi / Magni stack to power my Hifiman Arya. Modi didn't arrive yet, so I tried the Magni by connecting it directly to a Macbook Pro.

What happened then surprised me: the max volume with the AMP (in low-gain) is the same intensity of the max volume that I get if I connect the headphone directly to the computer.

I expected something more, does the lack of the DAC (Modi) influence it? I mean, the MacBook has already an internal DAC, not as good as the Modi, still should be quite good.

Thanks

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 16
Magni has 2 watts I think and there is no way the Macbook is pushing that. Was the volume at max for the macbook output? The RCA from the DAC should supply more power.

Nov 15, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 16
Definitely max volume from the macbook output when the Magni was linked. Usually between 12 / 2 (for the volume knob) would be enough to push volume from the Magni? I'm listening now at 3 and I don't have hears problems :p

I tried the Chord Mojo in the past and it gave me the feeling it was able of pushing more, but I didn't have a chance to compare side by side Magni/Modi with the Chord Mojo.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 16
What cable is it, 3.5mm to RCA? It might be a limitation of the input voltage and maybe someone else can chime in to confirm.

I would say wait until the DAC arrives.

Nov 15, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 16
Hi, I bought a Schiit Modi / Magni stack to power my Hifiman Arya. Modi didn't arrive yet, so I tried the Magni by connecting it directly to a Macbook Pro.
What happened then surprised me: the max volume with the AMP (in low-gain) is the same intensity of the max volume that I get if I connect the headphone directly to the computer.
I expected something more, does the lack of the DAC (Modi) influence it? I mean, the MacBook has already an internal DAC, not as good as the Modi, still should be quite good.
Thanks
I'm not into Macs, but my two cents.
Did you go into the Macbook Pro audio settings and set the output to Speaker and not Headphone?
That might feed a better analog audio signal to the Magni.
(I'm not sure if your Macbook comes with those type of audio settings).

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 16
Come to the darkside!

upload_2019-11-15_15-37-22.png

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 16
I'm not into Macs, but my two cents.
Did you go into the Macbook Pro audio settings and set the output to Speaker and not Headphone?
That might feed a better analog audio signal to the Magni.
(I'm not sure if your Macbook comes with those type of audio settings).

No, you can't choose on Mac

Come to the darkside!

maxresdefault.jpg

Nov 16, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 16
The Magni 3 is a very quiet amp. Try using Hi Gain. That should make a lot of difference.

Nov 16, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 16
This is nothing unusual. The Magni 3 in the low gain setting has a gain of 3dB. That means at max volume it amplifies the input signal by 3dB, which won't sound much louder. Just use high gain if low gain doesn't get loud enough. The high gain setting has 17dB of gain.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 16

Think of it this way.

Even if you put Philippine "93RON" gasoline in an M5, you can still get a ticket anywhere in the world.

True US/Euro 93 octane however will help it run smoother and have the revs respond better as you adjust throttle openings.

Just like with the M5, if you're only driving around slow traffic near sea level where summer heat isn't insane, you might not notice a huge difference between Philippine 93RON and US/Euro true 93 octane.

Nov 18, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #13 of 16
The headline is wrong, correct it should be:

"Does the AMP work properly without an external DAC?"

It might sound like a nitpicker, but this really confuses me. :wink:
Listening to digital music without a DAC is not possible.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #14 of 16
The headline is wrong, correct it should be:

"Does the AMP work properly without an external DAC?"

It might sound like a nitpicker, but this really confuses me. :wink:
Listening to digital music without a DAC is not possible.

I was about to say no it doesn't, but then I was like, oh, he IS using a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back