Does the AKG K701/2 do anything better than HD800?
Feb 4, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #121 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When price of hd 800 is compared with price of Porta Pro, px 100 you come to conclusion that they shouldn't have sound at all !
icon10.gif

Not sure i understand you comment. The K702s are just over $200 and sound pretty damn good for that price, I do not think I would get extra $1200 enjoyment out of the HD800 over the K702s.

The HD800s are great headphones and sounded damn good and if I could get them for say $600 or maybe even as high as $800 I would be all over them. But for $1400 I have to say no.

Feb 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #122 of 194
(.)(.) boobies! everybody just get along, to each his own just be happy for the people
who like what they're listening to!!! i love my 702's but will i have them forever... um probably not, i see a 650 in the future just to broaden my listening experience. Yes this thread may be relevant but lets keep our hobby sane! go forth and enjoy whatever set of cans you own!!!!

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #124 of 194
It's amazing how a debate between $250 and $1400 headphones goes on for 9 pages. To me it's obvious that if you're on limited budget 701/2 is your friend. But if you've already spent close to $5000 on Amp/Dac/Cable/etc. It's likely that you got some money, and spending $1400 on a headphones is fairly logical. Even if you're an AKG fan, when your rig cost $5000, you'll probably be looking at spending $1000 on a K1000 more than K701/2.
I think 701/2 owners (including me) should be very happy, because this discussion tells me that the "K702 is poor man's HD800" theory is not all lies. And that you got a bargain out of the K701/2
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, how does the K1000, O2, Q010, or even R10 compares to the HD800?

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #125 of 194
I can quite easily buy the HD800, but this is besides the point as it really aught to be. You don't buy it just because you can. You buy it because you see the value in it. You don't buy it because you otherwise have expensive equipment. You need to see a perceived value in it when compared with what you already have. Compared to what I already have, I'm quite astonished at the quality of the ALO K702's. The cans I had bought just before getting them were the Edition 8's. I'm guessing that it's the price why you see that they're worthy of official comparison with the HD800's before hearing any shouts of heresy. My ALO K702's are right there with the Ed8's when it comes to listening pleasure with detailed sound. Just a different sort of tonal balance.

I apparently have a serious can here as well, i.e., the Magnums. I'm now told that I need to improve my amp and source to really appreciate their worth. Perhaps.... but I'm seriously enjoying myself here and the ALO K702's are right there with them in quality... according to my ears.... just plain astonishing I think.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #126 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'm seriously enjoying myself here and the ALO K702's are right there with them in quality... according to my ears.... just plain astonishing I think.

Totally agreed, it's right up there. And if you go further, the rule of diminishing return kicks in pretty hard. But that never stop audiophiles to spends thousands more for that last bit of detail and quality from their music
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #128 of 194
Hello K701/2 dreamers here’s my 2c:

Delusional disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis denoting a psychotic mental disorder that is characterized by holding one or more non-bizarre delusions in the absence of any other significant psychopathology. Non-bizarre delusions are fixed beliefs that are certainly and definitely false, but that could possibly be plausible, for example, someone who thinks he or she is under police surveillance. In order for the diagnosis to be made auditory and visual hallucinations cannot be prominent, although olfactory or tactile hallucinations related to the content of the delusion may be present. To be diagnosed with delusional disorder, the delusion or delusions cannot be due to the effects of a drug, medication, or general medical condition, and delusional disorder cannot be diagnosed in an individual previously diagnosed with schizophrenia. A person with delusional disorder may be high functioning in daily life and may not exhibit odd or bizarre behavior aside from these delusions. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) defines six subtypes of the disorder characterized as erotomanic, grandiose, jealous, persecutory, somatic, and mixed, i.e., having features of more than one subtypes. Delusions also occur as symptoms of many other mental disorders, especially the other psychotic disorders.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #130 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by erd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally agreed, it's right up there. And if you go further, the rule of diminishing return kicks in pretty hard. But that never stop audiophiles to spends thousands more for that last bit of detail and quality from their music
smily_headphones1.gif

Clearly true audiophiles dont have diminishing returns :p - just good ol' positive marginal returns :p

Feb 22, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #131 of 194
True story: Handed my wife the K702 tonight, after about 15 minutes of listening, she says, "This is crap! Give me the Sennheiser!"
ph34r.gif

My assessment of the K702 is a little kinder. I personally really like the K702 - it's a great performer. However, IMHO, it really doesn't compete with the HD800 meaningfully in any category.
At $260 for a new K702, it really is an amazing value. I also think HD800 is overpriced - I take that back, I'm ok with the $1400 price tag for MSRP - I just wish Sennheiser would do away with the annoying fixed-price policy on the HD800.

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #132 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by erd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

+1. Law of diminishing marginal returns does become more and more transparent as one moves up the chain in cans though the law isn't just confined to audiophilia. I hardly construe 800 sounds 5 times better than 701 but in retrospect 701 had significantly less head time.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #133 of 194
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello K701/2 dreamers here’s my 2c:

Delusional...

Think about this: in terms of the extent and sophistication of marketing the hd800s are right up there with bose and beats. They are injection molded plastic and yet production must be "carefully" and very slowly done by hand. There is nothing in terms of design to stop these from being pushed off the assembly line at the rate of apple ibuds. They have a "ring radiator", or in other words a standard woofer with the dust cover removed that took years of intense research to develop. They sell for large sums of money because of course all that intense research cost huge dollars.

They cost a tonne of money to R&D and so we need to pay a lot to own them, but obviously they are the best - just consider the above.

On the other hand the k701/702 are relatively cheap. For someone to think they can compete with much more expensive headphones they'd have to be deluded. Almost as if some team of very well paid people had got together and figured out how convince audiophiles that their product was the best.

Feb 22, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #134 of 194
IMO, K702 can deliver the PRaT , or "timing" better than HD800, this is my personal subject.

-------

Ring radiator itself not that as advanced as imaging, just a trick to make diaphragm more easily to "vibration",or more easily to push huge air amount in a limited frequency, i guess Sennheiser takes hard works on control this "vibration".

Akg's varimotion diaphragm not a new idea, too,but it takes Patent (lol)

Different to Senns, Akg always seeks more accurate and "true" dynamic,THD not it's first goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back