Does the ACM on the Soundblaster zx degrade sound quality
Oct 14, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #2 of 7
I can't find a straight answer on whether or not the acm that comes with the zxr degrades sound quality or not. The zx/z are pretty much the same price so I wouldn't mind paying extra for the acm since my Sennheiser 598s don't have volume control. Anyone have any first hand experience?

This has been discussed (borderline beaten to death) before - it's also been measured (in the Z/Zx/ZxR thread - would link you but I can't find the specific post); the general answer is that it doesn't cause any significant problems (iirc the measurements showed almost zero impact), but some people will insist it is a problem because "its something in the signal path" (and they're absolutely welcome to their opinion).

From my own experience (I have both Recon3D (similar to the Z/Zx) and ZxR (which is a different card)), there's nothing wrong with the ACM and it stays put on my desk better than the free-standing mic from the Recon/Z. It is very useful to have a volume control knob, especially one that isn't tied to software (e.g. I can turn the volume all the way down and it doesn't matter what the PC is doing). I also used an external volume control (from Sennheiser) on the Recon3D to the same effect, and was satisfied with that (more or less) as well (I say more or less because it wasn't the most ergonomic of devices). Overall I don't think the ACM is a bad thing, but if you aren't likely to use it, it doesn't offer any other benefits (e.g. it isn't like the older Sound Blaster cards with break-out boxes that gained more inputs/outputs from the box).

I looked up the Z and Zx on Amazon.com, and there's around a $10 price difference currently. For $10, I'd get the Zx and have the option to use the ACM if wanted, especially as that's around what the Sennheiser control cost, and the Sennheiser control doesn't include a microphone and isn't as "solid" as the ACM.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for replying, I think I will go with the zx and use the acm then. However I was wondering how do I set the gain on the amp to 50 ohms for my hd 598s? I was looking at YouTube videos and couldn't find a video of someone bringing that option up in the software. Currently I use a xonar dg and I just have to click "hp advance setting" and I can set the amp to "pro-gaming mode for 32~64 ohms headsets." Does the zx just do this automatically? I will be replacing my xonar dg with the zxr because I wont have the pci slot it's in right now available once I add my second graphics card.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 7
I think I will buy the zx then and use the acm. I was confused about how I set the amp gain on the zx however. How would I set it up for a 50ohm headset (Sennheiser 598 hd)

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for replying, I think I will go with the zx and use the acm then. However I was wondering how do I set the gain on the amp to 50 ohms for my hd 598s? I was looking at YouTube videos and couldn't find a video of someone bringing that option up in the software. Currently I use a xonar dg and I just have to click "hp advance setting" and I can set the amp to "pro-gaming mode for 32~64 ohms headsets." Does the zx just do this automatically? I will be replacing my xonar dg with the zxr because I wont have the pci slot it's in right now available once I add my second graphics card.

If I remember correctly the Zx uses the same Maxim IC that the Recon3D and Z use; there is no gain switch in the software. You've said "Zx" and "ZxR" interchangeably though; those are two very different cards. Zx is the "up-model" of the Z, while ZxR is their current top-of-the-line dual-slot card that adds a TI headphone amp (which does have a gain switch in the software), more inputs and outputs, higher quality components, etc (it also costs a lot more).

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 7
  For me the ACM works very well. Also, it's very nice having a nice heavy duty feeling control at my fingertips by the keyboard.

You do realize this thread has been dead for 4 months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back