Does that "pop" sound damage the drivers?
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dkpaul

100+ Head-Fier
I usually listen to my iPod via Corda Move when I'm at work.

When I have to take a call or move around the office, I pause the iPod. Then after a few seconds it turns off automatically.

As I turn it back on... there's a pop sound (quite loud with the amp on) that I'm afraid it might damage the drivers... Can anyone tell me if this sound can damage the headphones?

It would be a hassle to turn down the amp everytime I turn the iPod on....

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 7
I have noticed that pop whenever I turn on my iPod (connected to the Move as well), but it is not loud at all IMO and quite unlikely to damage anything. Unless the 4G 'pops' louder than the 5.5G.

Now, the pop on the stock Microshar amp is the real loud one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 7
It's loud on my 4G as well. It's always irked me, that popping in my ear can actually hurt. I got on to ask people if it occurs on the 5G and Classic, then I see this thread ...

Does anyone know if the Zune pops like this on startup?

Sep 28, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 7
I think as long as you use an amp, the pop has to be there. I think the loudness of the pop is proportional to the amp's volume (how far the knob is turned).
In live stage systems, you know many 1kw+ amps and speakers arrays controlled by 46+ channel mixers, I have heard that turning anything with the amps on can damage the speakers.

Basically the same thing is happening here...

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes. But when referring to the headphone output, and a consumer product such as the iPod, you would think it considerate to design it such that it purposely dims the volume (or zeroes it) at the start so that the pop would not occur. That is often the case with most portable players, such as iRivers etc. which do not exhibit this issue.

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 7
Good speaker systems always start from the lowest volume and gradually increase when you turn it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back