Does that make any sense?
Mar 1, 2018 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ChristopherW

New Head-Fier
Hi, i'm new here and already need help :)

I've recently bought the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed and I'm quite satisfied with the sound, but there is one thing that I would like to ask

Currently, I'm listening from Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and many sources claim that changing smartphone to something more powerful can easily make Aeons sound better. In fact, I'm considering buying something (Dragonfly Red, AK70II, LG V30?), but i'm not sure if that will really change dramatically the performance of Aeons and spending money for difference that is not possible to detect easily (for example, in the office, without perfect conditions for listening experience), is not something I would like to do.

So, in your opinion, does that make sense to buy something else than my smartphone, and if it does, what would you buy?

Budget: about 1000$.

I also don't want to change the sound signature, but it would be great to add some more air between instruments and even more detail than it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :D

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 7
The only real way to tell if you're going to prefer a DAC, amp, or both is to listen to them. If they get loud enough and you don't really hear any electrical noise, then you don't need either, but they can definitely offer some improvements. If you have any way to go to a store and listen to what they have, I highly recommend it. Otherwise, consider buying from some place that has a good return policy. A lot of dedicated hi-fi shops understand that you really need some time to demo the equipment. As for listening in an office environment, having closed headphones will really help you notice the differences.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 7
I also own a pair of Aeon closed. Even though I can use my phone or tablet to power them I usually don't. I can get way better quality of sound if you pair the Aeons with a good Amp/DAC combo. For portable use I hook them up to my Oppo HA-2. For my home set up I use a Schiit Modi multibit DAC and a Schiit Jotunhiem Amp. For office use I would actually recommend a small and discrete Schiit stack combo. A Modi multibit and a Magni 3. Or if you need something smaller and more portable, a Schiit Fulla 2. Apart from the Dragonfly I haven't tried any of the other amp/DAC you list. I remember enjoying the Dragonfly out of a laptop and powering a pair of Nighthawks, but I wasn't blown away by them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi, i'm new here and already need help :)

I've recently bought the MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed and I'm quite satisfied with the sound, but there is one thing that I would like to ask

Currently, I'm listening from Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and many sources claim that changing smartphone to something more powerful can easily make Aeons sound better. In fact, I'm considering buying something (Dragonfly Red, AK70II, LG V30?), but i'm not sure if that will really change dramatically the performance of Aeons and spending money for difference that is not possible to detect easily (for example, in the office, without perfect conditions for listening experience), is not something I would like to do.

So, in your opinion, does that make sense to buy something else than my smartphone, and if it does, what would you buy?

Budget: about 1000$.

I also don't want to change the sound signature, but it would be great to add some more air between instruments and even more detail than it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas :D

A couple of things to think about are what sort of form factor you want (like, are you okay stacking a relatively bulky amp along with your phone), and whether you're looking for just an amp (for more power) or also a DAC. I don't know if the onboard DAC in your phone is a limiting factor for the detail you want, but it may be.

If chunky stuff is okay, maybe look at the Chord Mojo and iFi Nano Black Label? For something more svelte, the Oppo HA-2 as mentioned above or the Fiio Q5? These are all DAC/amp combo units.

If you just need an amp to provide moar power, I'd say try getting a $30 Walnut F1 to start with, since it's cheap and good and has plenty of power. (Its weakness is that its not very good for sensitive IEMs.)

At a somewhat higher price point, but for probably much cleaner sound and even more power, Fiio A5? But also some really nice portable amps would be in-budget for you, like Vorzuge and Portaphile. (Might be overkill though.)

If the idea of stacking multiple devices bothers you, then go for a DAP. (Note that if you currently rely on streaming services like Tidal or Spotify, then DAPs can be kind of a can of worms.)

Also, since you've got one pair of headphones you're mainly interested in driving, you may want to ask in the Aeon Flow thread, b/c folks will definitely be able to give you recommendations for stuff that they've found works well with them.

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #5 of 7
On one occasion when I was in a hurry, I demoed AFC and AFO on my Galaxy S8. I can't recall the exact reasons, but my immediate reaction was "meh". It was only when I had a longer visit to the store and was able to listen on a better amp/DAC that I was impressed and bought the AFO.

Mar 3, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #7 of 7
Alright, i'm after a visit in a store and...

That DOES make sense.

Oppo HA-2 was nothing special imo, it lacked details and gave more bass. I've tested also amp only and the difference was almost not noticeable between Note 5 and Note 5 + Amp, so it's not a matter of power.

And then I listened to Chord.

It's incredible. More details, little warm, more instrument separation, position of instruments... Great.

However.. do anyone know something (even not portable) that can be even better than Chord? Hegel H12 maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back