Does surround headphones really work?
Mar 7, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by UezeU
Most 5.1 headsets do suck but I have been looking at a pair that seems to be decent. They can be found at http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-...ser-p-782.html

I first saw them in a review at this link http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/07/...ove/page2.html

While I am sure that they don't compare to a decent set of regular heaphones they seem pretty good for their purpose. I have only read one bad review of them and from the sound of the review it probably wasn't the headphones. No other review had the same issues as the bad review.

Please, please don't get those. It will be a sad day when people start getting those from head-fi.

Mar 7, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #17 of 43
phonodome.jpg

do you think theres a market?

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
phonodome.jpg

do you think theres a market?

Well, the little guy in the drawing sure seems happy
k1000smile.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Please, please don't get those. It will be a sad day when people start getting those from head-fi.

I am not recommending them for music, they have a specific purpose. He stated that he mainly plays games and they do that fairly well. If you want to know when someone is approaching you and what direction they are coming from there is no substitute. All the algorithms in the world won't be accurate enough. As for the guy that bought the Zalmans it is universally agreed upon that those phones are horrible.

Mar 7, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #20 of 43
Well i dropped the surround thing, since i cant afford the X-Fi card (there are no free drivers capable of doing the same thing are there?). So ill just get the 555's
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the help though...

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #21 of 43
Alot of guys love the Zalman/Medusa kit but yeah tbh there not supposed to be in the audiophile world exactly, there only entry level surround cans.

Ive heard oddly the Philips 1500 Wireless headphones have very good surround/DTS sound on them, and even good music/listening too but for games/movies there apparantly awesome and perhaps the closest pair to good surround compared to your AV equipement.... some say there better positional even. + you can get cabeled version.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=1#post2597011

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by RP2X
Alot of guys love the Zalman/Medusa kit but yeah tbh there not supposed to be in the audiophile world exactly, there only entry level surround cans.

Ive heard oddly the Philips 1500 Wireless headphones have very good surround/DTS sound on them, and even good music/listening too but for games/movies there apparantly awesome and perhaps the closest pair to good surround compared to your AV equipement.... some say there better positional even. + you can get cabeled version.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=1#post2597011

The HP1500s are certainly pretty darn good. Thanks in part to the fact that the HP1000s are good headphones in their own right and there isn't any iky wireless transmission noise.

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 43
I found out that tha HD 555 leaks very mush, and they dont keep noise out at all, so i was wondering if you could recommend some closed headphones of with the same price tag?? Maybe the Beyerdynamic DTX 700, 800 or 900??

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 43
I too wished to get a pair of gaming headphones a while back.

I have the Medusa 5.1 headphones, and frankly I'm not that impressed. It's decent, but not good. It's saving grace is that it is not fatiguing as it is open and and the sound presentation is "fairly" balanced.

When I did my search ages back the Sony MDR 7506 headphones popped up alot seconded by the Audio-Technica ATH-A500. I would tend to believe that the Sony's would sound more technical and sterile, whilst the AT's would sound more musical. The Sony's supposedly have great bass, but a hollow sound, so gaming isn't affected as much as music might be. I think if you do 50% music listening as well, then the AT's would be more vesatile.

All this info is from my rusty memory, so best to do a search for "gaming headphones".

I also have the Listen to Believe 5.1 headphones too. Those go great with my tv, I can't complain too much about it. It suits my needs well.

Well that's my 2c...

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #26 of 43
I have some Zalman 5.1 headphones and I have to say that I think they are great for gaming. I'm able to tell where sounds are coming from which is great in many games, especially first person shooters.
However, they aren't the best sounding things in the world. I'm personally going to get some A900s (or similar) as I want a much better sound, and hope that fancy soundblaster things can give good positional audio.

But I do have to say that I have no real problem with the Zalman headphones, and I've had them for about a year.

Mar 9, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #27 of 43
In order to use the zalmans for gaming and actually hear any posisional audio then imho you must have your card set to headphone stereo with channel duplication. The distance between the drivers is too small for there to be any advantage to using a 5.1 configuration through them.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #28 of 43
The thing is that i cant find anyone who sells audiotechnica in norway, so can you please tell me the best headphones on this list that costs about 700kr: http://www.hpx.no/aspx/produkter.asp...stWebVar=false

KR is the norwegian currency, its the 4th coloumn from the left...

Ive found some other headphones that also are closed, can you help me pick one?:

-Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
-AKG K 27 i
-Creative HQ-1700 Foldable
-Koss PRO3AA
-Koss PRO4AAT
-Koss Pro 4AA

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #30 of 43
Damn, I have their $60 corded mouse. I might just have to have that headset. I bet they are gonna hurt the wallet though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back