Does such an earphone exist?
Nov 28, 2011 at 7:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

spekkio

100+ Head-Fier
I have tried many many earphones. From Monster Turbine to UM Miracles, they've all been in my stable for a period of time. Yet as I find myself at this junction, I am lost. Does no one sell this earphone?

1. Etymotic ER4S level details
2. Good frequency extension on both sides: Excellent highs, some sub bass rumble, doesn't need to have too much bass, just enough to be accurate (slightly more than ER4S is enough)
3. Over-ear fit (something like the Westone kind)
4. Not a custom IEM (had enough of fit issues and waiting)
5. No budget
6. No equalizer to be used

Above all, neutrality.

This is the perfect earphone for me, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone have any ideas? Feel free to suggest candidates. I've listened to quite a few but found them lacking in some way or another.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 31
im not so experienced to give an accurate recommendation,anyway there are the famous JH audio,who by the way sponsor this site aswell.
they pratically have the best earphones (iem in reality) ever,practically 4 drivers per ear (What!) with a customization for your own ear phiysionomy,so practically they will made a pair of earphones that fit perfectly in your ears and no one else.
but get ready to spend more than 1000 dollars for you definively -until death do us apart- earphones.
on the site you cant get more and more detailed info about,just keep foolin around.
ph34r.gif

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #6 of 31
I personally feel that UM2 is muddier than the UM3x and the bass is kinda bloated and uncontrolled. However it has a better soundstage, depth and sense of space and is warmer and darker than the Um3x.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #7 of 31
You can try the K3003 or the high end FA series. 
Why not just get the Etys and add an amp? You really won't find a cheap headphone that fits the bill and I am surprised the Miracles fell short of your expectation. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 31
K3003 can be insanely neutral if the (really working, real deal ) sound filters are changed. Give it a try sometime. If you dislike the sound sig after a while, change the filters to get a totally different earphone!

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #9 of 31
Wouldn't add an amp for the Etys because their comfort / fit is horrible - the cables are horribly microphonic.

K3003 sounds very enticing. Was wondering if the CK10 would fit the bill.

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #10 of 31
maybe an westone 4? The ck10/b2 may fit the bill too though they are not quite on par with levels of detail. You might want to look into the k2 sp as well.

Otherwise, why not a universal custom? I'm sure there are iem companies (at least UM does) that will make universal versions of their custom monitor. Any since budget isn't a problem, you might want to look into something like a universal miracle. (I saw one FS forum some days ago)

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 31
CK10s are similar to Etys, they lack in bass department and you definitely won't find the sub bass rumble you are looking for. I am trying the K3003 soon so I will be able to comment on them personally but I am just going from what I have read so far. One thing I have noticed in many reviews is that their soundstage is pretty awful. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #12 of 31
I disagree with the comment that CK10's will not give you a sub-bass rumble. CK10's are very extended, going well below 50hz. It's bass has more body than an ER4 (I used the S amped almost exclusively) and is generally more impactful (relying on speed, dynamics and extension rather than weight), especially with drums (few IEM's can manage percussion as well as CK10's).

I was never a fan of the Etymotic soundstage, which even well-amped felt a bit confined and a little hazy in it's imagery. The CK10's are noted for their imagery and well proportioned soundstage (wide and deep, but falling short of the widest and deepest). Highs can be a little strident, but YMMV, as I rarely have issues. With an amp like the Meier Stepdance sibilance was practically eliminated.

I'd look into them and RE252's.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #13 of 31
Hmmm... I had my CK10s going unamped through the iPhone 4. I never had an issue with sibliance but I felt the highs were waaay too forward. I really like nice treble presence and the CK10s were a bit overdone in my books. As a result, I felt the treble brightness masked the reverb and rumble of the bass making them sound too flat and makes them the coldest IEMs I have heard. There is still more bass than the Etys no doubt. I later tried the DBA02s and they were absolutely perfect. The highs are just as detailed and extended than the CK10s but less forward, bass had more presence and were more natural sounding than the CK10s. 

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #14 of 31
Yeah, the CK10's have a way of dividing people into camps. I do think it is mostly due to differing sensitivities to the upper registers. I also found CK10's, despite being relatively easy to drive, respond well to amping (and perhaps tames to some extent the low treble spikes). I agree that DBA's are fantastic. Paired with a pair of shure olives they provide excellent isolation and SQ on the go.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 31
Quote:
I have tried many many earphones. From Monster Turbine to UM Miracles, they've all been in my stable for a period of time. Yet as I find myself at this junction, I am lost. Does no one sell this earphone?

1. Etymotic ER4S level details
2. Good frequency extension on both sides: Excellent highs, some sub bass rumble, doesn't need to have too much bass, just enough to be accurate (slightly more than ER4S is enough)
3. Over-ear fit (something like the Westone kind)
4. Not a custom IEM (had enough of fit issues and waiting)
5. No budget
6. No equalizer to be used

Above all, neutrality.

Either the Thousand Sound TS842 or the Sony EX1000 is all I can think of.

Also what type of music?

I mean, read my CK10 review, I doubt they will cut it for you if the UM Miracles didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back