Does Such a Headphone Exist?
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #16 of 19
Well TBH the K340s are quite....ummmm...bright...they make T1s sound veiled.I can only use them with old dark recordings("Eighteen"-Alice Cooper)anything with some sparkle the 340s are damn near unbearable

I remember the K340 to be somewhat leaner than the K702 but not bright like that, but then again you might have hyperacusis. I'm fairly sensitive to treble but not as much as most others who are.

Earpad wear could be a factor too, plus the amp - the one I tried out had new pads on it running off a pure class A amp.

Do  you have any experience with the original Pioneer Monitor 10?

Digging thru some old threads on here folks say they at least matched,if not beat K702 for soundstage and imaging.

Haven't tried it but I wouldn't just believe it can match the K702 for imaging depth.

EDIT: I just put in an offer on the Pioneers,pretty cheap..if they dont float my boat I will prolly end up going with The Stax option.Any particular Stax that wont break the bank I should be looking for?

Just make sure to get newer earpads for it at least before deciding you don't like them, at least if they don't come with fresh enough pads.

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #17 of 19
I've had two K702 and they sounded different. Both were the latest version with bumpless headband.
The first one was drier and lighter in the bass (similar to HD800) the later is warmer (similar to the T1)

My late T1 (sn. 16.xxx) has slightly forward upper midrange next to most other T1s I've seen measured.
And my newer K702 (sn.129.xxx) sounds very similar to my T1. Differences:

K702 has slightly wider (more HD800-like) soundstage
T1 images better and is a little bit more transparent overall.
K702 is just a tad more forward in the upper midrange

Treble presentation is different, K702 has slightly raised 7kHz and then softer 8kHz to 10kHz
T1 has the well known Beyer peak centered at 8khz so it's sharper than K702

Good DAC/Amp is key to get good imaging and precise bass with K702

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 19

I remember the K340 to be somewhat leaner than the K702 but not bright like that, but then again you might have hyperacusis. I'm fairly sensitive to treble but not as much as most others who are.

Earpad wear could be a factor too, plus the amp - the one I tried out had new pads on it running off a pure class A amp.

Haven't tried it but I wouldn't just believe it can match the K702 for imaging depth.

Just make sure to get newer earpads for it at least before deciding you don't like them, at least if they don't come with fresh enough pads.

My K340 came with stock pads,but provided zero seal,so i used some cotton fiber to help,which didnt impact the brightness,but helped with the seal,and bass,a bit.

I now am using new DT pads(i think theyre DT pads,could be wrong)they fit perfectly and are more comfortable but the shrill-ness continues.

The K340s have a fatal design flaw,where the cups can only angle so much before they hit the inside of the cup bracket,preventing tighter seal. 

EDIT:

So the seller and i agreed on 99.00 shipped for The Pioneer Monitor 10s...im not expecting a life changing sound,but the investment was small,so I figured why not take a chance.As I said before I will probably try Stax next if these dont do the trick.

Anyone that can advise on affordable Stax setup that will meet my needs would be appreciated.Theres so many Stax out there ranging in price from 300.00-5000.00 its kinda hard to know whats what.

Ive seen that theres a "normal bias" Lambda out there that seems to be favoured...can anyone comment?

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #19 of 19

So The Pioneer Monitor 10s arrived today.They look like they had been made yesterday,clean as they come.No pad change will be needed for quite some time.Quite impressive for such an old pair of headphones!

As far as the sound goes.....I hear what people were saying ten years ago ago about the R-C-L imaging,very precise...not that wide and def not as much depth as many other headphones Ive heard.

A bit on the bass shy side,and they dont seem to like too much EQing either....and regardless of the specs they def like a lot of juice.

TL,DR

good stuff for 99 bucks but my search continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back