Does such a headphone exist? K701 + DT770
Mar 22, 2010 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Something with the AKG K701's soundstage and the warmth and deep extension of the Beyer DT770?

Does the HD650 come close to this described ideal?

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 19
I don't think so- smaller soundstage and the bass isn't that deep. D7000 might be in the ballpark but it's smaller soundstage as well but the bass is pretty great- subwoofer like on some recordings.

edit: speaking of subwoofers, you could buy a sub and run it with the K701's- I have done this and it works.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 19
Lol yeah I've done that trick many times myself using some other cans. That way you can feel the bass all around you as well not just in your head. It works really nice with Grados and playing heavy music.

Denon 7000s huh? But no I am looking for something that is akin to "the perfect headphone" for me and for that I absolutely must have the huge soundstage of the K701 at the very least. I guess I'll go with the hybrid K701 sub setup for the meantime - though if I were to go that far might as well just listen to my speakers, they have far better soundstage than the K701s! Thanks

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 19
HD800

The soundstage/headstage easily bests the K701 and the bass is of far, far better quality and goes much deeper than the DT770.

The HD650 wouldn't give you what you're looking for in terms of soundstage, however it does have a darker warmer signature.

The T1 could possibly be another option but I have yet to hear it.

Mar 30, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 19
Gosh I'll have to save for an HD800 then! Hehhe.

Anyway yeah I tried the HD650, it's not exactly what I'm looking for but it's a nice mix of the two. I don't miss the bass of the DT770 with it, the warmth is all there and while it doesn't go as deep it fits the bill. It also fixes the sibilance problem I have with the DT770s, and fills out the mids nicely.

On the other hand it sounds nothing like the K701, and comes far short in terms of soundstage.

I have a feeling that a good set of complementary cans for me would be the K701 and the HD650, until an HD800 finds its way to me.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #8 of 19
I wouldn't go for the HFI-780; the treble's so harsh I resorted to sticking thick paper towel wedges between the drivers and my ears. The Pro 900 didn't suffer from this, but it was still bright to the point of fatiguing me not even listening to music but just playing Modern Warfare 2 multiplay. That said, Pro 900 definitely has the bass you want (You'll hear it more than feel it, though). Soundstage didn't strike me as massive as some say or wonky as some say... but then again I never paid much attention to soundstage so probably shouldn't listen to me in that regard.

Personally the only can I could really think of is the T1. Owners of both the HD800 and T1 say T1 has a warmer sound sig, a bit more bass, 80-90% of the soundstage, and is probably a bit more musical. But uh... that might be out of your price range.

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 19
I don't agree with many of the comments here. No, there is no such headphone that has the sound stage of the 701 with the thumping bass of the 770. Though a few come close.

The hd800 has great sound stage but very little bass compared with a 770. If you like bass, don't get the 800.

Ultrasone models do have great bass, similar to the 770. But great soundstage? No! They have decent sound stage but no where near any open headphone, let alone a 701.

I would say the closest match would be a Beyerdynamic DT990. They have great bass, slightly less than the 770, but much more compared with the 800 and 701.
Due to being open phones they also have great soundstage, much better than Ultrasones and the 770 but not as good as the 701 or 800.

Other competitors are Denon phones (d7000) and JVC woody phones (dx1000).

Mar 30, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.R.A.N.C.E. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone models do have great bass, similar to the 770. But great soundstage? No! They have decent sound stage but no where near any open headphone, let alone a 701.

The problem is the k701 is open and like other open phones a lot of the lower frequency is lost, so you have to settle with middle grounds. Ultrasone provides the best soundstage for a closed in headphone in my opinion, the bass extends further and with more impact than a 770. You could even try a semi-open Ultrasone, I have no idea how those sound.

Apr 5, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 19
If the cans can't produce the same kind of soundstage as the K701, then they aren't replacing the K701. I've read a lot on the i780 and I honestly don't believe they have anywhere near the soundstage of the K701, but I'd have to hear them myself to be sure. But some people are already telling me they don't even begin to compare... and from what I've read about it that sounds about right.

I'm looking for something that has the K701's magical ability to suspend sounds in a *huge* space around me, to the point where it feels like I can't reach them if I hold my arms out and flail wildly. Most people here talk about soundstage and only talk about width, but the K701 doesn't just have width, it has depth. And so far I haven't heard anything like it. The AD700 has big soundstage too but I can feel the sounds around me and reach out and touch them. With the K701 try as I may I can't touch the sounds at all with my hands. That's the kind of soundstage I am looking for. HD650 isn't anywhere close, is closer to the soundstage of the AD700 (actually I think AD700 has bigger soundstage).

I'm going to have to check out the DT990. I have a friend who has a set and we're having a meet this month so I'll try them out there.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #15 of 19
Beyer DT770 warm and deep extension
confused_face_2.gif

Maybe the DT770 Pro 80 ohm, but the DT 770 consumer 2005 edition isn't warm at all.
I rather would call it a bright headphone with a lean bass.
If you want a relative warm Beyer with a good soundstage, the DT150 comes in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back