Does sound coloration from tube-preamp pass through a solid state receiver?
Jun 15, 2016 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

olbc

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I have an Onkyo nr-626 receiver that outputs to my speakers and the TV. On the inputs, I have both the HDTV and a turntable. In the end it looks kind of like this:

[turntable, hdtv] => [receiver] => [speakers, TV]

I like the coloration that tubes provide so I want to add a tube amp for the turntable. Thinking about getting a Schiit Valhalla-2 and sticking it between the turntable and the receiver. 

Since the receiver contains solid state amp and dac, I wonder if it will it essentially remove the coloration of the tube-preamp and it won't ever reach the speakers?

Hope this question makes sense :)

Appreciate your input!

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 5
A good solid state amp ideally is accurate, transparent, adds nothing to the signal, takes nothing away within the range of human hearing. Same for a DAC. So your receiver will not "remove" the tube sound, but depending on how good it is, it may add some sound of its own or not.

Jun 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 5
For me the Vahalla2 had a solid state sound to it with stock tubes. They're many here that tube roll that get different results but the amp didn't like my cans that much so had to let it go.

Jun 16, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 5
That's some good info, thanks for that! Could you tell me what cans did you use it with? What amp did you replace Valhalla with?
It was just a amp to augment my Cavalli Liquid Carbon. It was fine for the HD-700's but not so good for the Ether-C's or HE-400's. I haven't decided on my next amp but it is between a LTA Microzotl2 and a Ampsandsound Kenzie amp. Both sound great powering the Ether-C's. The Vahalla 2 sounded very SS to me but it had lots of power to spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back