does Sony make good $150 cans?...
Jul 27, 2004 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Just buy the V6 and be done with it.

Yeah really, short of the CD3000 the V6 is about as good as it gets for Sony... What's with the Sony hang up anyway? You really need to have the guy compare the 555's to similar offerings from Sony and let his ears make up his mind.

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnimeEd
or just get the 555 and put a Sony badge on it

LOL, but then you'd have to price them at $500 because of the Sony markup...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #19 of 51
Slick, I like the fact that you are helping him to find a good Sony in the price range. It looks like your friend may naturally like the sound of Sony cans, or like the brand image of Sony, or is just used to Sony's type of sound. It does not matter, listening pleasure is very psychological. Help him find a suitable Sony and he will probably enjoy it a lot.

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:40 AM Post #20 of 51
I have a feeling if his friend is limiting himself to a $150 budget and seems to be only interested in purchasing the Sony brand at this time that he hasn't had trial with many other substantial headphones.

Jul 27, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #21 of 51
Don't get the CD780, they're a bit hyped
rolleyes.gif

I really can't see why anyone would prefer those to, say, HP890, HD555 or MS-1s ....
wink.gif

If he wants Sony, I guess V6 would be the way to go. A lot of people hate them, but a lot of people live happily with them. And they won't ruin your friend so he can, one day, get some decent ones
wink.gif

-Taurui

Jul 27, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
i tried to get him to look at other brands, my HD555's are at his price range, but he just wants Sony. he's stuck on that one company and i dont know why.

the CD780 look like a good deal, the site Davnport linked has them for $109, will these work well with no amp on a pc sound card? (maybe that chaintech card that everyone loves).

Has he tried those 555's? If not then let/make him. If he likes them then he'll buy them right? Otherwise beat him with a stick till he wants them. In a figure of speech of course. I think...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Sony = overpriced and/or crap, generally. Sure the CD3K/R10 are good, but they're damned expensive too.

This is in fact like an standard now, or a bad habit, all of the high-end cans are overpriced IMO, just look to the prices of the HP-1, RS-1, PS-1, DT880, HD650, K-1000, AT-W1000, AT-W2002, Etys, the latest Shure, and similars, all of them have similar hyperhigh prices regardless of the performance....

Jul 27, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #25 of 51
i'm gonna try and postpone his purchase, i'm waiting on K501, DT880, SR325. maybe, after getting those cans, and having him audition them, he will change his mind.
this is the one thing that annoys me the most. my friends know that i sit in front of the computer a lot, visit internet forums, and do a lot of research on many things, yet they still dont take my advice on such things.
maybe, i can get him to buy those V700's or whatever from bestbuy, then have him a/b them with my HD555's, that might be the best comparison, might send him running back to BB for a refund.

thanks for the advice, i'll try to get him to visit the forum and this thread, that is, after i explain to him what a forum is
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #26 of 51
sony mdr-v6 .. tested and proven..
although I would say, for that price, he should look into other alternatives like grado sr-225(used), etc.. definitely much better
tongue.gif

ps. Sony cd3k and r10 are considered v good. But I think the cd1700 and f1 worth a mention too because they possess quite a remarkable quality
icon10.gif

Jul 27, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick
i got one of my friends into headphones, he said to me "why would you spend so much on headphones?" so i had him listen to the HD650's and his eyes lit up
smily_headphones1.gif

he's a sony head as i call, loves sony, and wants everything sony. he wants to spend $150 on them, and will buy from anywhere. he will probably use them with his computer (for which he will buy a new soundcard because he is using the lame onboard).

no amp, not yet anyhow. whats sony got?

Why has no-one suggested the Sony MDR-CD 2000?

In his price range, and made by Sony:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Beyond his price range, made by Sony, sold by Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...129838-9657419

Jul 27, 2004 at 6:23 PM Post #30 of 51
If he's really that fooled by the Sony brand image, then I doubt he'll be able to love a pair of headphones made by any other company, regardless of the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back