Does Saturn require atleast 30min to reach max performance?
Oct 3, 2007 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
I am hearing small discrepancies with my Saturn from the initial play to after 30min of CD spinning. I do leave my Saturn on all the time so I am guessing Saturn's output stage is not on all the time, or is not heavily biased into class A.

I can usually tell when the CDP is ready by touching the top, if its nice and warm, the CDP is ready for reference listening.

The difference between 'cold' Saturn and 'warm' Saturn is hard to describe in words. When my Saturn warms up, the sound coming from my spkrs is totally separated from the spkr, as if the sound just floats in space, instruments become touchable, I can 'walk' around the venue. Instead of having instruments in your room, I am transported to the recording studio. My brain must have picked up enough audio cues to allow me to experience the holographic recording studio/concert hall.

very spooky and strange...indeed.

Anyone else heard this difference?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 14
But my owner's manual for the Plinius 8100 says that the amp will sound its best after being left on for 24 hours.

I do detect a slight difference when I try to listen to music after it's just been flipped on vs. left on during the night. (Actually, I leave the amp on unless I'm going away on a trip.) The sound is a bit recessed and isn't as musical if I listen to it "cold."

I haven't really detected the same thing with my Arcam, though.

Oct 3, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Strange, AFAIK the outputstage is class A.
You're sure it's not the speakers/phones? Most of them require some ´warming up`.

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 14
spkr needs warm up?

my amp is nice and warm all the time.

that only leaves the Saturn.

The CDP itself is cold even if left on for days. It only gets warm after playing a few CD.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am hearing small discrepancies with my Saturn from the initial play to after 30min of CD spinning. I do leave my Saturn on all the time so I am guessing Saturn's output stage is not on all the time, or is not heavily biased into class A.

I can usually tell when the CDP is ready by touching the top, if its nice and warm, the CDP is ready for reference listening.

The difference between 'cold' Saturn and 'warm' Saturn is hard to describe in words. When my Saturn warms up, the sound coming from my spkrs is totally separated from the spkr, as if the sound just floats in space, instruments become touchable, I can 'walk' around the venue. Instead of having instruments in your room, I am transported to the recording studio. My brain must have picked up enough audio cues to allow me to experience the holographic recording studio/concert hall.

Yes Ive noticed it, and I keep the Saturn on 24/7.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes Ive noticed it, and I keep the Saturn on 24/7.

I have done that but it's not enough. Saturn needs to be warm to sound its best.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

spkr needs warm up?

my amp is nice and warm all the time.

that only leaves the Saturn.

The CDP itself is cold even if left on for days. It only gets warm after playing a few CD.

Strange the Saturn heats up after playing a few discs?
You may very well be right then; the amp stage is supposed to be class A; the less it works, the warmer it gets. The player heating up while playing certainly supports your theory.

But speakers definately need warming up; my dynaudios slightly brighten up when started up after 15 minutes.
B&w's are infamous for it, I remember the manufacturor warnig about it; especially if the room they are in is cold.
A friend of mine has Klipsch speakers that really sound mechanical for about 20 minutes or so. Seems to be the cone-surroundings needing some stretching to be at their best.

Oct 3, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 14
Dude I think you got a dud. My Saturn redlines in a matter of seconds, certainly not 30 minutes!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Is it possible it just takes you roughly the length of a Mike Oldfield instrumental to get into your music listening mind zone?

Oct 4, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Don't have a Saturn, but I agree with Duggeh, with the additional comment that it takes me over an hour to get all my equipment warmed up from a cold start. I've a lot of Blackgates in my musical chain and they're notoriously slow starters. Plus, that includes the audio perception part of my brain. I know it usually takes about an hour for me to "get into it".

But when it all comes together it's very obvious. BTW, a lot of folks seem to have an "instant on" audio perception. And others never quite hear what others do. We're all different.

Oddly, this slow brain start, if we can call it that, also applies to other intense activities. When I pitched or played competitive 9 ball it was a real problem. I had to hope I didn't bury myself before I got warmed up.

It just occurred to me how similar the process is to listening intently to music. Another piece of evidence as to how much our perception and concentration are part of the "hearing" process.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 14
i think this is true.

my G08 and Apache are on all the time (never turned off), although the G08 is on standby, maybe that means something. but the music for me doesn't hit the mark until at least an hour after continuous play - if not 2. and it is not my ears/mind adjusting for the music clearly sounds different (better) 1st CD after letting it run a CD or 2 as opposed to 1st CD from cold or not running.

Oct 10, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Is its just changes in spatial cues?

Or are there tonal differences also?

Oct 10, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #13 of 14
I've noticed similar affects with a Rega Apollo. From what i've read and experienced, the output stage takes several minutes to warm up, and only if the CDP is actually playing a CD. generally about 30 minutes from "dead-cold to good sound."

Oct 13, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 14
my system takes about a half hour of music to warm up too. i detect a "hotness" like from a poorly mastered CD which glosses over the transparancy and adds grain and harshness to the highs. after 30 mins its liquid, i think its a combination of everything, the motors of the speaker drivers, temp of the amps and CD player, cables settling ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back