Does ripping from Vinyl get better sound than ripping CDs to lossless?
Apr 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #16 of 62
i would say yes. vinly rip is/can be better than cd. short article is below. older article but point is still valid.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm

First and foremost a poorly mastered recording is usually the biggest stumbling block to a good recording/listening experience.

Regarding the OP's question as it relates to this article...even if I buy the argument that this article is proposing (which I don't), the minute you convert the Analog recording (vinyl) to Digital (even lossless), haven't you introduced the same 'waveform approximation' that makes the Digital version 'less accurate' (according to the author)?

Seems to me, if you believe in the accuracy of vinyl, it makes no sense to convert it to digital.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 62
Analog recording is lossy, there has never been an analog recording that sounds like what was coming off the microphones. However, some engineers were masters of manipulating analog formats into very pleasing recordings. Often exploiting some of the shortcomings to their advantage, for example tape compression.
As many have said already it really depends on the how well each format was mastered. With the current level of loudness wars the limitation of vinyl has an advantage of it has a hard time tracking music compressed to the point it is modulated pink noise. So they have to back off on the compression.
Can we get rid of the stair step drawings of digital? there is no stair step just points.  
What does a 10kHz square wave look like on vinyl?

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:17 AM Post #18 of 62
  i would say yes. vinly rip is/can be better than cd. short article is below. older article but point is still valid.

That article is completely incorrect.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #20 of 62

LOL right,  

https://xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml

Apr 11, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #21 of 62
Thanks for the video link!  That was perfect.  Demonstrating the basics of digital signal theory in an easily digestible form, for those unfamiliar with (or more importantly, those with a misunderstanding of) the principles.

In fact, it was just like a university lab exercise would work - I like it.  So much so that I'm donating to Xiph.org as a result.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 62
Of course vinyl doesn't sound better than CD, just different. But records come in much nicer packaging than CD and the physical experience of playing them adds theatre to the listening.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #24 of 62

Excuse me but does the alignment not change from the outside groove to the inside groove?

Yes it does . But you can buy a tangential tone-arm for only 6500USD that will read the groove at the same angle it was originally cut ..Sounds much better than digital /S

EDIT : And that way, you still get to feel that all your tinkering makes everything sound much better than what those idiotic engineers could come up with .

Of course vinyl doesn't sound better than CD, just different.

No, it is a proven FACT that vinyl sounds worse than CD . Just the fact that it sounds of anything at all should close the discussion .
I'm not saying the music on a vinyl-disk can't sound wonderful, but it has very close to nothing to do with the material .

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #27 of 62
Ive listened to quite a few vinyl rips from high end equipment and you really have to get into the $20,000+ range of equipment to get sound that is actually better than a CD. Just my .02

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #28 of 62
Excuse me but does the alignment not change from the outside groove to the inside groove?

a tiny amount, you can still get close enough alignment on a normal tonearm that there is no audible effect from this..
and besides record manufacturers all had varying angles of cut they used.
some stylii handle this better than others (and those are often harder to get right alignment on, so most people haven't heard it.)
you can still get close enough alignment on a normal tonearm that there is no audible effect from this..

I've heard enough badly mastered cds that have stellar vinyl pressings..

by your arguments all concerts are worse than digital recordings, because there are people making noise..yet if you ask many people...which one makes a stronger emotional connection. this is not Music for Robots, or is that who soundscience forum is for...

or find a different word than "better" to base a thread on. because my 400 dollar table sounds better to me than the top of the line Chord dac..

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #29 of 62
I've heard enough badly mastered cds that have stellar vinyl pressings..

So what? I've heard hundreds of CDs that were far better than any vinyl.

Put quite simply, a CD presented with the same program material as was presented to the vinyl will be less likely to suffer problems than any re-recording via vinyl. This is a simple audiophile principle 'the less components or processing in the signal path the better.'

So you should always try to buy a digital copy first, unless you have access to information about how the recording was made.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #30 of 62
So what? I've heard hundreds of CDs that were far better than any vinyl.

Put quite simply, a CD presented with the same program material as was presented to the vinyl will be less likely to suffer problems than any re-recording via vinyl. This is a simple audiophile principle 'the less components or processing in the signal path the better.'

So you should always try to buy a digital copy first, unless you have access to information about how the recording was made.

lmao, do you know how simply a needle is designed and works compared to... any digital rig? less components indeed...

its a preference thing. don't really see how you can have a meaningful thread about it. my first 10 yrs of headfi were in digital, and I don't miss a thing.
as an audiophile I find it far more rewarding and rich to hear exactly all the ways that the alignment is off at first.. the needle is a very fine instrument..and the immersion that happens when you tune it in just right is incomparable.

but if this thread is just about downloading needledrops... I think that is missing a key part of the experience

objective perfection is only one kind of audiophilism..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back