Does RE0 need burn in?
Nov 28, 2009 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

chengbin

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my RE0. I have a Shure E2c for 2 years before this.

When I put this on, there is obviously a difference, but I thought this is a phone in the same level as some of the best IEMs. I didn't go WOW that's a huge difference. I obviously heard differences, especially detail and soundstage. I heard background detail that I've never heard before in Drops of Jupiter for example. The differences are not night and day difference, like I would expect.

Does the RE0 need burn in? I'd be very disappointed if the RE0 sounded like this.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 10
In my experience the RE0's benefit a lot from burn in. The first time I put a pair in my ears, I was disappointed because I felt that while there was breathtaking treble detail, the overall sound was really quite flat. After a few days, I feel the bass really warmed up and the sound was a little less 'brittle' overall.

While it might all be psychological, I did end up having to get another pair of RE0's as a replacement as my first pair fell apart, and again I noticed really big changes over time with the newer pair.

It also really helps to really patiently play around with the included tips. I found that there were big differences in the amount of detail with the included tips. Have fun with them, they are fantastic - and even more so when paired with one of those little Fiio amps! (I got an E1 just recently.)

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 10
Diminishing returns. Also, many people expect the RE0 to wow them, but that's not what it does. You have to give yourself time to get accustomed to the hearing the detail and balance that the RE0 is capable of putting out. SQ upgrades on this level are best noticed in retrograde - go back to you Shures after a week or two with the RE0 and the differences will be much more pronounced.

Nov 28, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 10
I know the RE0 does not wow, but let's the detail sink in. But I thought the E2c was very entry level, and RE0 is high end. I would have expected a bigger difference as I'm coming from a low fi earphone.

Also, just switching back now revealed huge differences. For some reason every song I play doesn't impress me, like I expected this sound quality, but my ears disagree when I switch back.

Note, I'm only listening for less than 30 minutes from now.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the RE0 does not wow, but let's the detail sink in. But I thought the E2c was very entry level, and RE0 is high end. I would have expected a bigger difference as I'm coming from a low fi earphone.

High-end is pretty subjective. It's JH-13's for some and Skullcandy for others... As mentioned earlier, there is also the law of diminishing returns. That's audio for you. You just keep doing research and spending what you can afford until you find that right combination that makes it all worthwhile.

Quote:

Also, just switching back now revealed huge differences. For some reason every song I play doesn't impress me, like I expected this sound quality, but my ears disagree when I switch back.

I went from Altec Lansing UHP336's to RE0's. After a month or so of not listening to the UHP336's and going back for a quick listen, they sounded terrible. All muddy, no details, just plain awful. Koss KSC75's kill them (modded and unmodded). For whatever reason, I seem to notice the most differences after getting used to something else and then switching back.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah, I think the RE0 is a little over-hyped. At $79.99 it makes a lot of sense--kicks the trash out of almost everything around that price--but I don't think it compares favorably against the ER-4S or even 4P as others do.

I mean, who thought putting knurled/checkered metal right behind the tips was a good idea? Ow.

And sound-wise, sure it's got more bass than the Ety, but it doesn't have the extension, and the detail over the entire range just isn't there -- stuff that's very distinctly separated on the ER-4x is a little bit of a hodgepodge on the RE0. The RE0 sounds to my ears like a great budget competitor to the E4c (tho admittedly it's been a while since I've heard the E4c).

Again, for what they are, they're great, but I wouldn't expect 'em to punch too far above their weight.

Nov 28, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 10
You're just used to the Shure's sound signature since you've had them for so long, give the RE0's time and you will adjust and probably end up liking it a lot more. It does improve with burn-in also, especially the bass.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #9 of 10
give it some time to burn in, I burned mine in, though I could not tell you the difference between unburned and burned since I never though about taking notes. Just give it time to adjust.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 10
I have limited IEM experience. I found the RE0 to be a great bargain though. The first day it was a little bright but you could kind of hear how it may burn in. 10 hrs later the bass really showed up. This headphone is not heavy bass. The joy is from the overall balance it gives. There is also a lot of high detail with out being sharp sounding. What I was looking for was mids. I really wanted a lower and mid level detail IEM. So when they burn in you will like a bigger mid and bass sound stage. I also found that they will go to a sound signature at the 20th hour where the bass is gone for awhile but then comes back for good. Others have noticed this phenomena too. I love the detail. It really takes awhile to learn how they sound. This is a practice in taking time to learn the sublime not in your face satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back