does quality of optical cables have effect on SQ?
Sep 21, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #46 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The difference b/w my monster optical cable v.s. wirewrold optical cable was very noticable. The wireworld supernova 5+ has excellent sound quality.

X2!!!

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #47 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Optical cable is my cheapest interconnect. I'd rather not use an adaptor, is there anywhere that does a decent Toslink to Mini lead, under $50.

The Monster iCable is decent, and probably priced around $35.
I noticed improvement when going from the Monster to my current Optocoupler MKII (paid $130 shipped). But that said, I lived happily with the Monster for one year...

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad people are starting to see sense.

So am I...

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #48 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by peelax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have the cable plugged in the wrong way it will sound more fatiguing with more digital harshness, if it is right you get a more analogue sound with a blacker background. This is due to the way in which micro fractures in the glass reflect photons causing photonic standing waves in the cable. These micro fractures are directional, as they tend to form at the same sort of angle. The resulting standing waves interfere with the digital signal making the rising and falling of the ones and zeros more difficult to detect, in effect adding jitter and timing issues to the signal.

The thing about digital is that past a certain threshold, it just doesn't matter anymore. Once you're bit-perfect you are good.

Also, and it's been said before, digital signals do not degrade nicely. If there truly is a problem with your cable you're not going to get problems like "the noise floor isn't as black." You're going to get errors that resemble what a CD sounds like when C2 error correction fails, i.e. unlistenable.

edit : hook, line, and sinker
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #49 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Monster iCable is decent, and probably priced around $35.

I notice you're in Norway[Rock on!], where did you get your cable? Their USA site won't ship internationally.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #50 of 100
Quote:

It is important to make sure your optical is plugged in the right way round too, contrary to popular belief glass does have a direction, preferring to let photons flow one way more than another. As manufacturers generally don't label the correct direction of photon flow it is important to conduct listening tests to determine it. If you have the cable plugged in the wrong way it will sound more fatiguing with more digital harshness, if it is right you get a more analogue sound with a blacker background. This is due to the way in which micro fractures in the glass reflect photons causing photonic standing waves in the cable. These micro fractures are directional, as they tend to form at the same sort of angle. The resulting standing waves interfere with the digital signal making the rising and falling of the ones and zeros more difficult to detect, in effect adding jitter and timing issues to the signal.

QFT. Thanks for the lucid explanation. It's good to hear an informed opinion every once in a while. There is so much misinformation floating around... I can't help but laugh at all those "audiophiles" who have their optical cables plugged in the wrong way around.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #51 of 100
Quote:

I notice you're in Norway[Rock on!], where did you get your cable? Their USA site won't ship internationally.

I placed my order at the Norwegian distributor, Audio Media. Which themselves had to special order the cable, to my specifications (1.5 meter, TOSLINK to miniplug) from the factory in the Netherlands. I paid a total of $150, shipped to my door.

You might get lucky here: http://www.vandenhul.com/distrib/distrib.htm
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #52 of 100
Lol, Optocoupler MKII looks like it!

Is it glass?

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #53 of 100
Quote:

Lol, Optocoupler MKII looks like it!

Is it glass?

I have found no official information from Van del Hul about which material used. But I have the impression that its glass and not plastic.

This is all there is on the official website:
http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/optocplr.htm#specs

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #54 of 100
Wow, this thread has informed me exactly who has some sense and whos advice to follow, and whos deluding themselves. Thank you, I don't have that much money to throw away =D

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #55 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For error correction they used an interleaving method. I don't remember from the top of my head. But any way this system is pretty robust from an error perspective.

I'm having a lot of trouble tracking down exactly what error correction methods are being used. Is this part of the EAS3 spec somewhere I am not seeing, or is it at a higher level?

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #56 of 100
Quote:

2. Errors

This usually causes very significant changes in the sound, often loud popping noises but occasionally less offensive effects. Any data loss or errors in either are a sign of a very broken link which is probably intermittently dropping out altogether.

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/audio/spdif.html

I hate sceptics like this, they don't know how to use their ears. Obviously they have little holistic knowledge. Light is not a naturally binary phenomenon, therefore a whole spectrum of errors and deviations can take place. I know what I hear and there is massive differences after cyro/proper alignment of the optical cable. As different frequencies of modulation interact differently with the glass medium (due to micro-fracture) different bit patterns get effected differently. This translates into less than idea frequency response and noise. That is why proper alignment means better sound, and the more money you spend of a optical cable the more balanced it is across the whole audio spectrum, especially in the 3rd harmonics.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #57 of 100
Quote:

I hate sceptics like this, they don't know how to use their ears . . .

Here is the problem with this argument. This is what your signal path looks like:

Code:

Code:
[left](output&misc)----DAC----DEMODLATOR============MODULATOR----TRANSPORT ^ ^ a b The "====" is the cable.[/left]

Here is the thing. Usling lab equipment, we can show that with absolutely dirt cheap cables, the bitstream at 'a' and 'b' is the same. So using premium cables, i.e. the portion represented by "====," what can we possibly gain?

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #58 of 100
Quote:

I hate sceptics like this, they don't know how to use their ears . . .

Here is the problem with this argument. This is what your signal path looks like:

Code:

Code:
[left](output&misc)----DAC----DEMODLATOR============MODULATOR----TRANSPORT ^ ^ a b The "====" is the cable.[/left]

Here is the thing. Usling lab equipment, we can show that with absolutely dirt cheap cables, the bitstream at 'a' and 'b' is the same. So using premium cables, i.e. the portion represented by "====," what can we possibly gain?

Sep 21, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #59 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Code:

Code:

I've just seen a Sense of Humor (the special edition model with the much hyped "Irony" decoder) at a good price in the for sale forums - you should check it out
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #60 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just seen a Sense of Humor (the special edition model with the much hyped "Irony" decoder) at a good price in the for sale forums - you should check it out
wink.gif

See what this forum has done to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back