Does playing music from you phone via micro SD sound different than a solid state memory phone?
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Army-Firedawg

1000+ Head-Fier
     As the title suggests I'm looking into rather or not me playing my music from my phone (LG G3) via my 64gb micro SD card (class 10) sound worse than if my phone was a solid state (like the Samsung Galaxy S6)? The audio player I'm using is Power Amp Pro. and 90% of my music is a straight lossless rip from a CD. I'm always getting hickups in my music but I do not have this issue when playing from my computer (HP *something cheap model*) and using MediaMonkey.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated for I'm wanting to upgrade my phone and am REALLY interested in the new hi-fi phones coming out (like the Marshal and ZTE Axom) but they're solid state up to 64gb and I've just filled my 64gb card with my music. Does anyone else have or are familiar with this issue? Thanks

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 9
       As the title suggests I'm looking into rather or not me playing my music from my phone (LG G3) via my 64gb micro SD card (class 10) sound worse than if my phone was a solid state (like the Samsung Galaxy S6)? The audio player I'm using is Power Amp Pro. and 90% of my music is a straight lossless rip from a CD. I'm always getting hickups in my music but I do not have this issue when playing from my computer (HP *something cheap model*) and using MediaMonkey.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated for I'm wanting to upgrade my phone and am REALLY interested in the new hi-fi phones coming out (like the Marshal and ZTE Axom) but they're solid state up to 64gb and I've just filled my 64gb card with my music. Does anyone else have or are familiar with this issue? Thanks

Hiccups may be attributed to your SD card being throttled, but more likely, it could be the buffer being too small. Since you're using Poweramp, you can adjust the buffer size. Here's a bit more info.

Aug 23, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 9
     Appreciate the input I checked into that and am listening to multiple songs on Power Amp and the stock player (and seeing the stock player can apparently read .wav files now I might just use it for it's much more organized). But other than the hickup issues mentioned do you think there's a difference in quality based solely on being external vs ss memory? And if so is it worth the annoyance (AND drastic price flux of buying the larger gb version) of worrying about memory constraints?

Another question I just thought of. Is there a way to make the lossless music I rip to my computer FLAC when I sync it to my phone without changing the format on the computer? Or in other words can I turn my .wav music into .flac files when I sync it to my phone without loosing/changing the format on the computer?

Aug 23, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 9
There is no difference between the music being on the sd card or on solid state (they are the same thing just one is removable) the format is the same, the data is the same, the only difference is read speed, soldered solid state being faster than an sd.

How are you syncing from pc to phone copy and pasting or using media monkey, media monkey can transcode as it syncs I have just checked

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 9
I didn't think so but I couldn't think of any other explanation now I've no idea why I'm getting so many hickups I'm starting to think it's just Power Amp. 

I didn't know Media Monkey could do that I'll give it a shot when I get home but I was simply syncing my phone from my home laptop.

Aug 23, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 9
  I didn't think so but I couldn't think of any other explanation now I've no idea why I'm getting so many hickups I'm starting to think it's just Power Amp. 

I didn't know Media Monkey could do that I'll give it a shot when I get home but I was simply syncing my phone from my home laptop.

Maybe you use too much compressed FLAC so some time is needed to decode it to PCM, I had this issue with .ape format while .wav played perfectly fine. Does all music have those "hiccups"? Have you tried same SD card in some other phone? And have you tried different SD card with your phone? 

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 9
No the comression shouldn't be it i uss exact audio copy on the accuracy setting. I've used 2 different 64gb cards and same issue and it's not always nor consistently with music which makes it difficult to prove. As for the phone being unable that's not it either I specifically chose this phone (LG G3) a year ago over samsung and HTC for it's musical capabilities. I've been listening to the stock musoc player last couple hours and cant remember any hiccups so I'm believing it's Power Amp and their customer service is about as helpful as a beats advocate telling you about high end headphones. *le sigh* hate to have such issues with an app I spent $5 just to play my lossless files which the stock app couldn't at the time. Though all your help with the hiccups and other questions is awesome I sincerely appreciate the responses. Another reason the head-fi community remains my favorite audio community I've ever associated myself with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back